A week in Thun, Bernese Oberland in September

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2019 at 10:21:05 #925629

Geneva an Canberra have fountains. Bern not so much.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2019 at 20:00:25 #925630

Last day of our 6 day Regional Pass Bernese Oberland and so far have not had to spend an additional cent for travel or visits to places if interest.

Today we left Thun (sob) for Montreux via the Golden Pass route. The RBPO gets us to Saanen and we need a half-fare ticket from there. The fact we had a 2nd Class pass and planned to travel 1st Class on the Belle Époque made it a little tricky. Just for the hell of it we decided to go 1st Class all the way. So a class upgrade Thun to Saanen and a half-fare 1st Class ticket from there to Montreux.

It was our first rainy day after a week in Thun. That made the views quite atmospheric. We organised to have a longer connection at Zweisimmen but it was pouring down when we got there. Plenty to see around the station though (especially for train fans).

There were 8 people in the Belle Époque carriage so no problem swapping from side to side to catch the best views.

Photos at flickr.com/photos/6400 7154@N00/sets/72157711 985281768 and again, apologies for the ads.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2019 at 15:21:10 #925631

Hi Rockoyster

More great photos – thanks for sharing those. Shame about Bern – it’s much better on a weekday when all the delightful little shops are open and market days are even better. We haven’t been to the Botanical Gardens – but we do like the Rose Garden – grand collection of roses and water lilies and terrific views of the city from above. Agree clock at its best at 12 – bit crowded then though as the walking tour guides aim to get their groups there for then.

Out of interest where did you stay in Thun? We have self-catered there in recent years but obviously will have to find ground floor apartment if we do decide to go and though the one we found in Uetendorf would be ideal, if it is not available we would need to think again and possibly look at hotels with disabled access. All very uncertain at the moment.

Looking forward to further instalments.

Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 November 2019 at 19:03:31 #925632

Hi Maggie,

You are probably right about Bern. I think we were just having an “off” day. Definitely should have visited the Rose Gardens instead of the Botanic Gardens.

We stayed at the Freienhof in Thun; right on the river. It was OK – super location, but the room was pretty “compact”.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    1 December 2019 at 20:07:39 #925633

Hi Mark,

I think you’ll find that the KS teepee will be disappearing soon. It’s all part of the V-Bahn agreement. What will replace it though? Keep your fingers crossed.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2019 at 21:15:24 #925634

Hello andrew,

Thanks for your question! However, may I please ask you to start and post a new thread? You just posted under “Switzerland trip reports.” Thanks for your consideration and cooperation.

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2019 at 21:17:50 #925635

Er, Andrew was responding to an earlier comment on this thread and I suspect his “question” may have been rhetorical. 😉

I would however be interested to know what the point of the teepee is. Is it just an ad for Coca Cola or does it have a deeper significance?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2019 at 21:28:16 #925636

Hello rockoyster!

OOooooo……sorry Andrew. Thanks rockoyster! I think it’s time for me to sign out for the day.

I wish you a great day rockoyster, and thank you for all your comprehensive comments and advice. It is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    1 December 2019 at 22:43:00 #925637

Hi rockoyster and Suzanne,

Thanks, rockoyster, for your rescue and Suzanne for your apology. I deliberately replied to Mark by name. No questions this time, rhetorical or otherwise.

I also enjoyed the photos very much and it shortened the seven weeks or so until our next visit.

Andrew

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 December 2019 at 1:31:42 #925638

Hi Andrew,

What will replace it though?” looked rhetorical to me. 🤓

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 December 2019 at 1:36:27 #925639

Montreux part of our trip report now up here.

All the Bernese Oberland photos are now in a Google Photos (no annoying ads) album here.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 December 2019 at 6:31:40 #925640

Hi Rockoyster,

I’m a bit late to the party, but nevertheless a thank you for the wonderful (and sometimes artistic) images. That looks like a perfect week in Thun.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 December 2019 at 6:40:56 #925641

Thanks Arno.

Axelant1
    Participant
    43 posts
    6 January 2020 at 6:21:39 #925642

Your photos are stunning, Rockoyster. What is your camera model? (not that the equipment replaces the eye and talent, of course) What is the metal walkway that snakes around the cliff in the BO area? We are going to be in the BO in September 2020, following 6 days in the Valais area (Martigny base). You didn’t have a lot of photos of Lausanne and I wonder if we’ll enjoy a day trip there or not. You didn’t seem to get a lot out of the Gruyeres cheese factory and the chocolate house and I wonder if we should bother….especially if it is a stunning weather day that could be spent in the mountains. Thoughts? Thank you, Kay

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2020 at 6:48:34 #925643

Hi Kay,

Thanks. I have a variety of cameras but for travel I usually just carry my pocketable Sony HX-99. It is super compact but has a pretty decent zoom which helps with compositions I upgraded from an HX-50V for the 2019 adventure. I also had a new Huawei P30 Lite phone so several of the shots are taken with that. Mainly the Sony though.

The metal walkway is the Tissot Thrill Walk at First.

We only spent a few hours in Lausanne – rather be in the country than in cities. I’m told the Olympic Museum is quite something.

The Cheese Factory was interesting and the village at Gruyéres is worth a visit. The Chocolate Factory wouldn’t feature in my Top 50 Swiss Experiences. The Cheese Factory might scrape in at 30 or so but the scenery from the train is lovely around that area. I certainly wouldn’t trade the Cheese and Choctaw for a sunny day in the mountains.

It all comes down to personal preferences I guess.

Axelant1
    Participant
    43 posts
    6 January 2020 at 17:58:10 #925644

I appreciate your information. The camera looks like an interesting one and I sure like the crispness and color that you get. My 35mm Canon and lenses is getting a bit cumbersome to pack around and truly, I don’t think it delivers even the quality that I get out of my Galaxy S9+. I’m a long-time photographer so it’s hard to let go of my 35mm with all the controls to access. I think that letting go of the cheese and chocolate factories will be a no-brainer for us. I’d rather go to a local festival where the people are hefting great big wheels of the yellow gold. As for cities….I think I’ll need to evaluate the day trip to Lausanne. We, too, are not overly keen on cities, which is why we’re not staying in one….unless they are loaded with history and top museums. ….Kay

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 20:48:46 #925645

We are planning 5 days in that area in late summer. We have reservations in Thun for 5 nights. We don’t want to stay in Interlaken, but plan to spend a couple of days up in the Jungfrau area. Would it be better to stay in Thun all 5 days and do the train a couple of days or would you recommend staying in Wengen a few nights and not have to take the train twice. We do plan to go up to Jungfraujoch one day.Thank you for any recommendations you have for that region.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 March 2020 at 20:57:21 #925646

Hello L2y2 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Thun to Wengen is about a 3 hour round trip and to Grindelwald return about 2 h 30m. 5 nights is not a long stay but you could break it up if you wanted to avoid the train trip into the Jungfrau Region.

I would say it really depends on your overall plans and your personal preferences.

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 21:40:43 #925647

That is good to know. The 1 1/2 hours each way twice is a lot. That is 6 hours of train rides. Even though it’s beautiful, we’d rather be hiking and exploring the Jungfrau region. I think we’ll change the plans for 2 nights in Thun and 3 nights in Wengen so we can explore that region more easily. We plan to take the trains, gondolas and lifts around that entire valley over the few days and a trip up to Jungfraujoch. We will be purchasing the discount train passes for the 5 days we’re there. You have gorgeous pictures and some great advice. Thank you so much!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 March 2020 at 21:55:54 #925648

You’re welcome.

Given your aims you might consider 5 nights in Wengen. See bit.ly/2XAX3Jp. You will have no trouble finding things to do in the Jungfrau Region.

Is 5-nights the extent of your visit to Switzerland or are you visiting other parts?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The thread ‘A week in Thun, Bernese Oberland in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.