About 6-7 hours to spend in Jungfrau region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 19:44:32 #814098

We will be in the Interlaken region at the very end of August and will have about 6-7 hours from our arrival to explore . We were thinking about going to top of Schilthorn at a minimum . We will have a car so where is the best location to drive to to start this adventure ? Also, any suggestions on alternative sites to see in the limited time we have ? Thank You

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2018 at 21:27:23 #874812

Hello rjm0413 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

For Schilthorn you can drive to Stechelberg and take a series of cable cars. Between Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg you will pass Trummelbach Falls which is worth a visit.

From Mürren you can take the funicular to Allmendhubel.

For a nice round trip return from Mürren to Lauterbrunnen via Grütschalp and bus back to Stechelberg. Or park at Lauterbrunnen, do the circuit then take a short train ride up to Wengen.

Schynigge Platte (train from Wilderswil) is also worth considering.

Of course from Wengen (or Grindelwald which you can drive to) you can reach Jungfraujoch.

There are enough things in the Jungfrau Region to keep you occupied for 6 – 7 days! 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:09:29 #874813

Thank you rockoyster – Your last line about 6-7 days , was that a typo ? Unfortunately we will only have 6-7 hours ! Sorry, but I am also confused . The funicular from Murren to Allmendhubel , is that an alternative to starting at Stechelberg ? If we park at Lauterbrunnen , can you please give more detail as to what the circuit would entail and the approximate time required and estimated cost per person . Thank You so much !

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:22:39 #874814

No typo – just pointing out 6 – 7 hours is so short you are going to need to be VERY selective from all the available choices.

To work out fares use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare.

The circuit I mentioned is Lauterbrunnen, Stechelberg, Mürren, Grütschalp, Lauterbrunnen.

From Mürren you can go to Schilthorn. Also to Allmendhubel and back to Mürren.

Try Google Maps to get an idea of where all these places are.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:30:03 #874815

Thank you again ! From when we park at Lauterbrunnen , how much time would you estimate to be needed to complete the circuit and spend an hour at Schilthorn ? Will try not to bother you anymore ! Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:35:27 #874816

At a guess I’d say 3 hours. The timetable will give you a more accurate figure.

Ask away if you have more questions. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:51:27 #874817

Thank You – you have been quite helpful. I wish we had more time in the area ! My goal is to make the most efficient use of what little time we have and see the most and the best that we can .

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2018 at 2:40:54 #874818

Hi rjmo413-

You have noted that you will park your car. Your choices are Lauterbrunnen, Stechelberg, or Grindelwald/Grindelwald Grund. From those points onward, it is a car free region.

Lauterbrunnen is almost surely the best answer, considering your stated goals and the various travel options. For example, when you come back down, you might ride from Mürren to Grütschalp, and take the cableway back down to Lauterbrunnen.

These may be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 6:23:36 #874819

Hey thanks Slowpoke – this is all starting to make some sense now . So would you agree that with the limited time we have ( 6-7 ) hrs that the Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg to Murren to Schilthorn then back to Murren-Gruttschalp – Lauterbrunnen is the best use of our time ? ( versus going up to Kleine Scheidegg instead ? ) . Do you think if we got to Trummelbach Falls about 11:30 am that we would have time to see this site plus do the circuit outlined above ? The scenery looks amazing . I have been to Switzerland previously and love your country — it’s just a little bit different than Houston Texas where we see a single snow flake or 2 every 10 years ! Thanks Ron

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 9:13:25 #874820

Hi rjmo413,

Our page on getting to Schilthorn will lay out your two options: Getting to Schilthorn. It is always via the town of Murren. There are two ways to get to Murren which is what you need to decide. Most people go up one way and down the other. 🙂 Timewise it is close to the same.

You would have time for Trummelbach Falls I think – just depends on how much time you want/have to spend at each point of interest and when you want to leave the Jungfrau Region.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2018 at 10:00:45 #874821

Hi Ron-

You got your answer from Lucas. Kleine Scheidegg and a bunch of other things are all great. Schilthorn has a it more “Wow!” factor.

I am a citizen of the USA, and live in Connecticut, where we are no strangers to snow. And, our seafood is better than the Swiss seafood. 😉

Cheese, well , the other way around.

I have spent a bit of time in Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2018 at 17:29:49 #874822

<<“Do you think if we got to Trummelbach Falls about 11:30 am that we would have time to see this site plus do the circuit outlined above ?”>>

There is a bus every 30 minutes from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. It takes 19 minutes.

If you get off at Trummelbach Falls, about half way along the route, it takes 9 minutes.

The falls are 2.8 km from Lauterbrunnen. The total distance to Stechelberg is 5.7 km on a nearly level easy path. , requiring about 1 hr 15 minutes to walk it. I think you’re better of riding the bus.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 17:30:51 #874823

Thanks to all for your guidance . I now believe we have a plan and can’t wait to get there . Regards from Texas !!

• The thread ‘About 6-7 hours to spend in Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.