Swiss train traveling with mobility issues

• Boonkhim
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 October 2019 at 2:54:48 #824263

Hi,

I will be visiting Switzerland about 6 weeks after surgery, and will have some mobility issues especially when it comes to lifting bags. I will be taking trains from the airport to Interlaken, Interlaken to Zermatt, Zermatt to Zurich, and the Glacier Express.

According to the SBB website there are low floor coaches I can take. Do I need to reserve these seats, a doctor’s note, or anything in particular to be able to sit in the accessible coaches?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 October 2019 at 7:27:14 #923967

Hello Boonkhim! I’m sorry to hear you’re dealing with mobility issues. However, I think you’ll be able to get around in Switzerland pretty well on the trains you’ve mentioned. You can contact the railway companies in advance to enquire about the options and necessary arrangements, as this may differ per company and type of train. There’s been a recent thread on a similar issue in which many helpful tips and links were provided: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/wheelchair-access-to-train-bus-etc-in-switzerland. Reading this thread and checking the links may get you started. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Boonkhim
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 October 2019 at 14:22:15 #923968

Hi Annika,

Thank you for your concern. 1 will read up the links from the thread.

As we will be transferring luggage from the platform onto the train, will we be encountering steps then? As in, can we simply roll the luggage from platform to train or do we have to do some lifting to get the luggage up the train. Cos while I can move freely, doctor’s advise is to minimize lifting of any kind. I saw pictures of trains on the SBB website and it seems that the carriage is level with the platform.

Thank you once again.

Regards

Boon Khim

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 October 2019 at 16:42:41 #923969

Hi Boon Khim,

Trains with platform level entries are getting more common, but they are not available everywhere yet. So do count on some lifting or ask for assistance from the staff (see the links) or fellow travelers in such cases.

• The thread ‘Swiss train traveling with mobility issues’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.