Accommodation near Interlaken, on the lake?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 2:16:26 #814883

Looking for advice & suggestions 🙂

My husband & I will be travelling by car to view Jungfrau & Schilthorn (2 day stay) in the middle of September, 2018. We’re looking for accommodation around Interlaken, perhaps on the the lake. We will be coming in from Brienz to go onto Spiez.

I have check myswissalps, but very few listed, so just looking for recommendations.

Thanks heaps

MezzaNewbs

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 March 2018 at 3:10:48 #879362

Seeing you are going up into the mountains you might consider Lauterbrunnen to park your car and Lauterbrunnen or Wengen to stay? Interlaken doesn’t have much to recommend itself as a destination apart from it is a really handy transport hub (if you are primarily travelling by public transport) for the Jungfrau Region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 4:35:31 #879363

Thanks Rockoyster..

If we stay in Lauterbrunnen, and start our Jungfrauhoch from here, can we still do the round trip? Or is that only possible from Interlaken? All our travel in the region will be by train, local transport!

MezzaNewbs

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 March 2018 at 4:45:31 #879364

By round trip I presume you mean up from Wengen and down via Grindelwald or vice versa.

If you stayed at Lauterbrunnen and then went up to Jungfraujoch via Wengen then you could go back down to Grindelwald and cable cars across from Grindelwald to Wengen via Mannlichen and on to Lauterbrunnen. Or take train from Grindelwald to Zweilütschinen and back up to Lauterbrunnen.

If you are at Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 March 2018 at 5:48:58 #879365

Hi MezzaNewbs,

Are you planning to stay in Brienz and in Interlaken (or nearby) and in Spiez? Brienz and Spiez are only 20 minutes away from Interlaken by train. You can easily stay in one of those towns and do day trips from there to the Jungfrau region too. I have done so several times. With one base you’ll be more flexible weather wise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 6:34:57 #879366

Hi Arno,

Yes, I am looking at staying in one of the places you mentioned….seems to allow us a bit more variety

Thanks for your input

MezzaNewbs

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    23 March 2018 at 15:56:34 #879367

Hi MezzaNewbs,

We have holidayed for many years in Spiez staying at the Hotel/Restaurant Seegarten Marina down by the harbour. Yes, it’s a bit of a walk up to the station but buses and the road train run from lunchtime and the hotel will fetch and carry you and your luggage on request at the beginning and end of your stay. The boat station is only five minutes’ walk if you take your time with (almost) hourly boats to both Interlaken and Thun in summer.

The hotel has a half board arrangement with set evening meal, but you’ll be asked if anything doesn’t suit you and offered an alternative. The restaurant for non-staying guests is mainly outside and if that gets very busy the service can slow down but it’s a lovely spot to sit and people watch.

I should add that we have no connection with the hotel except as satisfied customers.

Andrew

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    23 March 2018 at 20:49:35 #879368

Hej !

If you are travelling by car then perhaps you are willing to drive a few extra kilometres and stay at one of the BnB.ch locations. Here is the map on their website: bnb.ch/en/s/?search_type=map You can zoom in on whatever area you are interested in and see photos and other details (including prices) of the accommodations that are available. Here is one that I found, quite randomly, no more than five kilometres from Spiez. bnb.ch/en/bnb/1404? If you click on “Display Map” you will see its location and three others that are even closer to Spiez.

• The thread ‘Accommodation near Interlaken, on the lake?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.