Accommodation suggestion for a group of 8

• kargee
    Participant
    25 posts
    2 April 2016 at 3:07:45 #808786

Hi,

I am looking for suggestion of an accommodation for my family, 7 adults and 1 kid aged 5. We prefer to have 3 bedrooms.

We plan to arrive on 23 July and have yet to decide when to check out, most likely 8 or 9 nights. Our budget is about 350CHF (max) per night for the group.

These are the places we plan to visit: 1 day @ Interlaken & Jungfrau; 1 day @ Lausanne, Vevey & Montreux; 1 day @ Zermatt & Matterhorn; 1 day @ Bern; 1 day@ Locarno & Lugano; 1 day @ Luzern & Mt. Rigi; 1 day @ Zurich & Schaffhausen.

Is it advisable to stay in one place and travel to different places rather than moving around with luggages?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 April 2016 at 8:11:08 #850207

Hi kargee,

I would definitely not move to a different accommodation each day. That means you only have half a day left for sightseeing. Personally I would choose 2 base towns for 8-9 nights. E.g. Interlaken and Luzern. From there, you can reach a lot of the places on your list. Perhaps not all of them, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Note that apartments/holiday homes are hard to find for less than one week. Hotels and hostels can be booked by the night. That could be a reason to stay in one place only.

kargee
    Participant
    25 posts
    2 April 2016 at 9:07:34 #850208

Thanks a lot, Arno.

I find that Zermatt is quite isolated from other places. What place would you recommend to stay if we would like to visit Matterhorn but not staying in Zermatt as it may be expensive?

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 April 2016 at 14:13:38 #850209

Hi kargee,

Villages close to Zermatt that may be cheaper are Täsch, Randa and St. Niklaus, for example. They’re perfect for Zermatt but still far away from the rest of the country. There is cheaper accommodation in Zermatt too, see here.

Interlaken would be a central place where you can easily spend a week or more and visit both local attractions and various attractions across Switzerland. Zermatt is 2h15 by train from Interlaken. So a long day trip would be possible.

kargee
    Participant
    25 posts
    3 April 2016 at 3:50:44 #850210

Sure, will definitely check out those places.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions, Arno.

• The thread ‘Accommodation suggestion for a group of 8’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.