Accommodation Jungfrau Region which town

• Yeatesp
    Participant
    12 posts
    25 August 2019 at 2:21:37 #823565

Looking to book accommodation for early May, 4 nights and have narrowed it down to 3 places. Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Wilderswil. Just wondering if there is a clear preference mainly from a transport point of view but also any pros and cons from any other perspective.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2019 at 11:17:21 #920918

Hello Yeatesp,

Well, they are all in the same region and so largely also in the same scenery and among each other well connected, as you will see using below timetable.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You can really make it dependant on your likes, see below links for inspiration (check all tabs, incl. Hotels or Rentals).
    http://www.myswissalps.com/la uterbrunnen
    http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald
    http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken, one stop from Wilderswil

Best,
    Steph

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    25 August 2019 at 14:40:47 #920919

Lauterbrunnen is more central and easy to get to either the west or east side of the O-B region –Murren or Wengen. And it’s the most scenic valley with waterfalls trailing down the mountains on both sides. Inspiration for Rivendell!

But I wish it were less developed. We stayed here one night and moved up to Gimmelwald which I love it even more with its quietness and where you see farmers actually work and live.

Yeatesp
    Participant
    12 posts
    26 August 2019 at 6:34:48 #920920

Thanks Steph and Virgingorda, we will have a car so I believe Gimmelwald is out. The 2 places I have in mind in Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald appear very similar, the one in Grindelwald would be about AUS$170 cheaper but it sounds like Lauterbrunnen would be better for getting around so I might go that one.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2019 at 20:56:35 #920921

We have just stayed 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen at the Valley Hostel.

We highly recommend staying here we did both Jungfrau & Schilthorn (007) which includes afternoon in Murren both peaks were fantastic. We also did Trummelbach falls 5 mins from Lauterbrunnen by bus.

This is a very central location but also has great scenery of Valley and mountains, base jumpers all day long. Sitting in your little wooden balcony.

The room was nothing flash but very clean, cheaper than most and has an amazing new kitchen where you can cook from breakfast, lunch & Dinners to keep your costs down as Switzerland is very expensive. It was a welcomed change from ordering from restaurant menus after 5 weeks of travelling, was nice to have some home cooked flavours.

Yeatesp
    Participant
    12 posts
    28 August 2019 at 10:18:40 #920922

Thank you MD Smith. Can I ask you a couple of questions. The 2 things that jump out at me are, extra fee for towels/sheets and shared bathroom can you give your thoughts on those please. Also on Booking.com it gives an option for breakfast, do you know about that? Cheers Paul

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2019 at 20:52:02 #920923

Hi Yeatesp

We were supplied with towels at the start of our three days they were the size of a tea towel and very thin I asked for another one at no extra cost. The rooms come with a sheet, pillows, Doona’s and covers everything you need, you just have to make the bed up when you arrive, it’s all self serve. buts that’s ok if it keeps the price down.

They do a breakfast tray, I saw a family order it, looked like a tray of OJ, croissant, yoghurt & tea or coffee. I don’t know how much it cost, but if it were me the co-op is 6 min walk down the hill, we bought bacon, eggs, fruit, baked beans and bread and cooked our own in the wonderful kitchen. We even bought supplies to make our lunches which we took on our daily journeys. The kitchen comes fully equipped with all pots pans dishes cups sauces cutlery toaster, kettle etc. they do not provide free coffee or tea but I bought my teabags / coffee bags from home,

There are plenty of separate bathrooms and toilets for the rooms in each building. They are immaculate ours all looked like they had recently been remodelled, immaculately clean and looked brand new, we never had to wait once for the shower to be free and the rooms were all full.

Perhaps send them a message with your many questions they would be only too happy to assist as were very helpful staff. It rates very high on Booking.com too for a hostel.

Good luck with your trip, we absolutely loved ours.

• The thread ‘Accommodation Jungfrau Region which town’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.