Swiss accommodation charges for adults and child

• Harjeet
    Participant
    36 posts
    9 July 2018 at 13:15:22 #817172

Hi,

I was going through various accommodation for my trip to Switzerland.

One question which I got is “Room rate rises with number of sleeps e.g. 2 Adults or 3 Adults expectedly so but even with 2 Adults and child of age less than 8 years the rooms and prices changes”

Child may share double bed and might not require separate bed. Is there rule or policy that even with child of age less than 8 yrs separate bed need to be taken.

If a room is showing for 2 adults can we adjust child who as of now might not be in habit of using separate bed obviously < 8 yrs age

Regards

Harjeet

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 July 2018 at 13:29:59 #890896

Hi Harjeet,

It’s common in Switzerland to charge based on the number of guests, (almost) regardless of age. Very young children (under 3 or so) might be free, but in any case you will need to book for the actual number of guests. Breakfast is included in most cases, as well as cleaning and energy consumption (water, electricity) and Wifi. So that’s why the price is not per room. In fact you don’t “book a room” but you book “accommodation for X people”. Which is reality is of course a room with an appropriate number of beds 🙂

Does this answer your question?

Harjeet
    Participant
    36 posts
    9 July 2018 at 16:19:46 #890897

Yes the answer does help 🙂

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    10 July 2018 at 15:43:01 #890898

I have a similar question, while booking, can I select 2 adults instead of 2 adults & child(10 yrs) & whatever surcharge is applicable , can I pay directly at hotel?

I’m asking because the rate of child is similar to the rate of adult,which I feel is bit of unfair….if Swiss travel system gives free ride to child below 16, than even the hotels should be bit considerate in charging for child.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 15:51:27 #890899

It would be up to each hotel to decide what to charge for kids.

If you don’t pay for the child online at time of booking you will just be charged by the hotel when you check-in/out for the child.

• The thread ‘Swiss accommodation charges for adults and child’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.