Accommodation in the Matterhorn area or Nendaz?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 8:35:56 #900501

Have plenty of data available on my phone plan and was able to use it when I was there before. Swisscom is so amazingly efficient was able to get a signal in the most unlikely places deep in the Gotthard tunnel, top of mountains, mountain passes etc. Not like that here on UK yet shows it can be done.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2018 at 11:01:10 #900502

Hi Lucas –

Regretfully, I have to disagree with a moderator. 😉

Having used the Kursbuch for many years, since about 1980, I find it much better for trip planning than the online tools. The reason is that you see all the train options at one time, in a format that shows trains, stops, and timing. And, connections from main stations. And, the symbols for restaurant cars, variable days of service, etc. You do have to work to learn how to use it. 😉

It helps if you know the train line numbers, too. I’m guessing that the synoptic map is there, but, if not, I have the last paper version at my desk. And, the search by place name gives you all the train numbers for a particular station.

Once you have a route, the on-line stuff is much more convenient, because it simplifies the information you have to deal with. And, it has enough to help you if you change plans. I post screen grabs from the online timetable because they are simpler. But, you have to dig in a few layers before you get everything

I’m really grateful for 1060man’s posting that *.PDF.

And, now I have the link to get me to it. 😉

Last time that I looked for it, I could not find it. And, I can now get data on wheelchair capability for the transport modes, too. In German….that part is not available in English, yet.

And, the city or regional net plans, too!

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 11:26:43 #900503

Hi Slowpoke Is the Kursbuch you mention available at stations? I want to have as much information to hand as possible. Is it a train timetable booklet (I am presuming buch means book

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2018 at 11:34:50 #900504

The last printed version was published for 2017. I keep it beside my computer.

It is 5 cm. thick, 13 by 20 cm format, approximately 2200 pages, just for the trains/boats/cableways. Buses take two more books of about the same thickness.

At many stations, especially the large ones, there is available a small paper booklet with the same pages, shrunk, just for the region or originating at that station. Sometimes they are on racks in the travel or ticket office.

This link gets you started if you want it online, and I’m sure that you can download it.

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ en/welcome.html

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 11:55:33 #900505

Perfect thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 13:27:50 #900506

Fair enough!

It is what your are used to I think. I never used that Kursbuch when I lived in Switzerland so perhaps I don’t know what I’m missing. But I always got to where I was going. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2018 at 13:58:31 #900507

glad to help

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2018 at 14:01:34 #900508

<<“But I always got to where I was going. :)”>>

The planing is half the fun. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2018 at 0:07:22 #900509

Absolutely agree. We survived for 100 years with a printed type timetable…

When the last SBB one was stopped, a partnership of other organisations stepped in, so it is available as a printed book :

http://www.fahrplancenter.com /2019%20SCHWEIZER%20KU RSBUCH%202019%20engl%2 0p.pdf

You may have noticed that I link to the official Kursbuch PDFs at every opportunity… That is because I believe in maintaining at least some of the ‘old world’. Also it is by far the best thing to use for local journeys once you are ‘in place’

Both versions have their place but a printed timetable gives you an understanding of the shape of the service and how it relates to other connecting services that a point to point on line search does not.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 December 2018 at 0:11:48 #900510

Seems that there are two of us…maybe three. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2018 at 0:15:45 #900512

Yes, Canton Graubünden does it for their whole region.

In the context of this thread, MGB have always done one but I can’t be certain they still do for 2019

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The thread ‘Accommodation in the Matterhorn area or Nendaz?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.