Activities in Lauterbrunnen in March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2019 at 14:24:00 #819643

Good day experts,

I will be in Switzerland on 16th March-21st and my 1st stop would be in Lauterbrunnen valley. Reaching Lauterbrunnen around 5pm in the evening. May I have some suggestion on what can I do? Is it still winter time? Schiltorn/ Jungfrauchjoch is not in my list as I have plans for other mountains excursion already.

All in all I only have half a day on the 17th before heading to Zermatt.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2019 at 17:04:51 #902976

H Michelle,

Yes, very much winter still in the mountains and higher elevations in the Jungfrau region. If you arrive at 5pm you won’t have any opportunity to do mountain trips that night. So that leaves the next morning before departing to Zermatt – not much time except for local sightseeing in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen or Murren.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Are you not interested in any mountain activities while in Lauterbrunnen for your 1/2 day then? Most people visit this region specifically for mountain trips. Wengen will give you nice views over the valley at least, if you don’t go up the mountains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 12:05:11 #902977

Hi lucas

Actually my main intention is to visit the falls in the valley but to my dismay seems like the water will be frozen since it is still winter.

I have also looked up on your recommendation which are wengen and murren. May I know which have the best view/easy to explore given my limited time?

I have another question in regards to purchasing point to point ticket.Will it be a hassle to buy from the machine?

Michelle

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 January 2019 at 13:55:52 #902978

Hi Michelle,

In March there might be some water running, but it will be much better later in spring and early summer.

The links in Lucas’ post get you to our Wengen and Mürren pages for details. Both offer absolutely great views. Wengen is a bit more central so could be a better base for that reason.

Buying tickets from the machines is not a hassle but it will take some time the first time. You can also buy from staffed ticket desks during opening hours, or online, or though the app. Depending on your exact plans some kind of pass might be useful to save money, and in order to travel with less or no point to point tickets. This pass, for example: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss. Whether it’s worth it or not can be calculated: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

• The thread ‘Activities in Lauterbrunnen in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.