Addresses or how to find Swiss train stations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 10:11:40 #817833

Hi, I will be travelling to Switzerland for 15 days trip. And I will be taking 4 Panoramic trains Gotthard Express, Bernina Express, Glacier Express and Golden Pass Line. I have not come across a site which mentions about the exact address of these stations. And Google maps or SBB doesn’t give exact route details about these Panoramic trains. To be sure I am going to the right station can I please get the address details of the Panoramic train stations (atleast the starting and end points).

For example if I have to go to Gotthard express boat what is the station. I know it is Luzerne station but there can be many entry points for it?

Thanks in advance…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    12 August 2018 at 15:40:46 #894031

Dear Amit Kumar

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Most Swiss towns have only one train station, and I think this this the case for all lines you mention. If you go to Gogle Maps, and search for <Name of town> -Station, you’ll find the right place. E.g. <Montreux Station>.

I am not aware of such a thing like Gotthard Express Boat. There is a Gotthard Panorama Express, which is a train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 16:04:57 #894032

Thanks Snowman for your reply.

You are right there is no Gotthard express boat. What I meant was the route generally mentioned from Lucerne to Lugano and first stretch of the route from Lucerne to flulen via boat/cruise

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 18:12:03 #894033

Hi Amit,

Yes all towns would just have 1 “main station” where are trains coming to that town will arrive at.

Some larger towns may have some (much smaller) train stations around the town – getting commuters to their homes in the suburbs, but they will be named differently and very obviously won’t be the main station in those larger towns, like Lucerne, Zurich etc.

Lucerne/Luzern main station is just “Luzern”. Zurich’s main station is noted as “Zurich” or “Zurich Hauptbahnhof” (main station in German).

Small towns, as Snowman notes, like Zermatt, St. Moritz etc will have only the one station.

If you ask anyone for help getting to “the train station” in any town, they will direct you to the main station if there are more than one by default.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 18:46:50 #894034

Thanks Lucas

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 August 2018 at 7:50:14 #894035

Hi Amit Kumar! We describe the rail journeys you’re interested in on the pages below. They include the names of the railway stations:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2018 at 10:17:30 #894036

Hi Amit Kumar –

If you use this map, and turn on icons for variuos transport option sunder “Points of Interest/Traffic”

you will see the blue icons appear. Mouse over the icon to get the exact name.

map.search.ch/?pos=666527,211404&z=25 6&poi=bergbahn,haltest elle,zug

Oddly, ship landings show up when you turn on trams,buses.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 12:34:18 #894037

Slow poke.

Why then does the sbb.ch site list 5 or 6 names for Interlaken when you search for stations to buy a ticket?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    13 August 2018 at 13:54:01 #894038

Interlaken Ost And Interlaken West are the 2 railway stations. All others are local bus stops.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2018 at 14:21:37 #894039

<<“Why then does the sbb.ch site list 5 or 6 names for Interlaken when you search for stations to buy a ticket? “>>

Snowman to the rescue! As he says, they are bus stops, and you can get a ticket to them, too.

Use the map as I suggested, turn on rail, tram, bus and then mouse over Interlaken Ost.

There are 2 icons. One gives the official name for the rail station The other gives the Official name for the bus stop.

map.search.ch/?pos=633377,171154&z=25 6&poi=bergbahn,haltest elle,mobility,viasuiss e,zug

I’m working at zoom level 256. Mouse over another of the bus icons. You get the name of the bus stop.

On the SBB website, the main station is the first name. In the advanced version of the timetable, you can turnoff buses if you wish. The names of the bus stops will disappear. I think. 😉

At Interlaken, it is a good idea to turn on Mountain Transport, and move south, toward Wengen or Stechelberg. Then, you will see the cableways.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 20:54:37 #894040

Thank you!

Meeraps
    Participant
    2 posts
    13 August 2018 at 21:11:02 #894041

Hi

I will be travelling to Geneva for a short stay and would like a visit ti Mt Titilis from Geneva. Can you advice best travel options?

Thanks,

Meera

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2018 at 21:19:50 #894042

Hi Meera-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Could you please start a new thread of your own with your query?

Then, it will be easier to find in the future, because it will hae it’s own name, as the forum rules suggest. That way you and others kind find it more easily if the want to know about the topic.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

Slowpoke

PS- The timetable will give you your answers. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

• The thread ‘Addresses or how to find Swiss train stations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.