Adelboden and Zurich, railpass and ticket options

• HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    13 June 2022 at 17:24:14 #827491

I will be in Switzerland in July, starting with a week in Adelboden and then 4 days in Zurich. I have a lot of questions about itinerary and tickets.

I am trying to figure out if I should get a half fare card or just do point-to-point tickets. I know the fairs for trips I will definitely take ( Zurich Flughaven to Adelboden Post, then back to Zurich.

Because a lot of flights from here have been re-scheduled, I’m thinking I should NOT buy tickets for specific trains (saver/super saver) but wait until I arrive. Does that make sense?

Also, we have passes for local transit in Adelboden and the neighbouring valley through our hotel. I know there is LOTS to do in the 2 locations but would like an opinion on whether I should plan to go to the Junfrauhoch from there (definitely if there is inclement weather in Adelboden) or if I should concentrate on those 2 valleys.

I would also like to have a weather contingency plan for our Zurich (Dubendorf) stay -I have been to Pilotus from there….what would be your top recommendation for a trip from Zurich?

I am having difficulty figuring out travel around Zurich as we will be staying in Dubendorf which is just outside Zurich. On a previous trip, I know we bought a one day pass each day we would do things in Zurich (we had help buying the tickets) and I remember Dubendorf is in an outer ‘zone’ so you have to account for that( I think zone 2) Do I need to use the ZVV app instead of the SBB app? Would I buy a ticket to Zurich HB from SBB, then one to Dubendorf?

There are multiple 24h ticket packages Zurich transit…can you buy a 6 pack but use it for 2 people?

Sorry for so many questions…planning an itinerary is overwhelming….Every location is beautiful and it’s hard to narrow down an itinerary!

Thank you for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    13 June 2022 at 18:16:09 #943198

Hi Helene Z,

If you’re planning a lot of day trips and mountain excursions during your 1 week stay in Adelboden, you might want to think about getting a railpass, specifically the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland. With the RPBO, your sightseeing options are not limited to Adelboden only. For instance, you can make day trips to Interlaken; Wengen and Grindelwald for free., to Kandersteg, to Brig, all for free. The trip to Jungfraujoch is partly covered too. Have a look at the RPBO validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

Regarding tickets and passes in Zurich, if you’re travelling locally, you probably just need a point to point ticket. A day pass of course will allow you to travel further and for the whole day. It doesn’t make any difference if you purchase the tickets from the ZVV or SBB app/ticket machines. Both are valid for travel. The multiple journey tickets can be used for 2 people. Just make sure you validate the tickets twice before your board the train. If you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you pay half price instead of full fare tickets. So you might want to consider this too in addition to the RPBO? You have to do math to find out if this combination gives you the best value. Click here for tips on how to choose the best railpass.

You can find day trip options from Zurich here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/activities

Let us know if you need more input.

regards,

Anna

HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 June 2022 at 2:09:39 #943199

Thank you for your response.

I know it’s not really fair but I’d like to ask for your top recommendation for one day trip starting from Adelboden and one from Zurich. In both of those locations my itinerary is tentative because I will be spending time with family and I don’t know their plans yet. I would do the day trips if I have no family plan and if weather isn’t great.

thanks again

Helene

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2022 at 6:58:28 #943200

Hi Helene,

From Zürich I would go to the Rhein Falls or to Lucerne for a day trip. Both are on my top list. You can read about these here:

From Adelboden you can visit Bern: http://www.myswissalps.com/bern.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Adelboden and Zurich, railpass and ticket options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.