Advance purchase of discounted Swiss rail ticket

• FredTeo
    Participant
    4 posts
    26 February 2021 at 12:05:15 #825785

I will be travelling to Switzerland in September 2021 and will be using Half Fare Card and regional passes extensively for my travelling on rail, buses and boats. For areas not covered by the regional passes, I intend to book my train ticket online a month or so earlier for the Super Saver ticket if available. In this connection, Can I proceed with the booking the ticket at Half Fare Card rate online without purchasing the Card first until might be a week before my trip. Pls advice.

Rgds

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    26 February 2021 at 15:16:24 #934700

Hi Fred Teo,

Yes it is possible to purchase the ticket at half price online, just make sure you have a valid Swiss Half Fare Card when you travel. Random checks are routinely done on the train and you will be charged a penalty if you travel without a valid ticket. You can get the Swiss Half Fare Card from a list online resellers here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price

More information about travelling by trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

Regards,

Anna

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    27 February 2021 at 22:49:57 #934701

I believe there is a specific window of availability for you to purchase these specially priced tickets. Further the ticket is for a specific train on a specific date and time.

Your travel flexibility may be limited.

I would suggest that you consider using a travel agent to help you navigate through these situations so that you may be assured that you have the specific travel arrangements which you desire. The Swiss rail systems are complex and language difficulties make make it difficult clearly state your questions.

Best wishes.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 February 2021 at 14:04:32 #934702

Thanks for your input, @lkdf62! Indeed, Supersaver tickets are meant for specific trains and specific departure times only. Regular tickets are valid all day long. @FredTeo: you’ll see the options explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    28 February 2021 at 15:30:53 #934703

Hi FredTeo

You are better off using this website to plan your trip rather than using a travel agent. I recommend using the SBB app as it gives you timetables for all the modes of transport you will use on each of your journeys and you can purchase tickets on the move using the app, if necessary.

The helpful staff at the stations are used to dealing with enquires from people from numerous countries and you will have no difficulty making yourself understood or negotiating the railway stations that have excellent clear signage.

Good luck with your planning.

Jane

• The thread ‘Advance purchase of discounted Swiss rail ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.