Adventure Card on Glacier Express, Local Trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2014 at 15:12:33 #806230

Hi ,

I am coming to Switzerland in April. I will travel from Visp to Zermatt that is not covered in Interrail Pass. Please let me know if Adventure card is valid on this route as it is run by Matterhorn Gotthard Railway (MGBahn) ?

Does this Adventure card gives discount on the Lifts in the Zermett Area and how much?

Can I use this card to travel on Glacier Express from Zermatt to Disentis? and All the local and regionale trains between them?.

Best Regards,

Ali, Finland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 January 2014 at 18:31:44 #839481

Hi Ali and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your InterRail Pass will get you a discount between Zermatt and Disentis (which includes Zermatt – Visp). I think it’s 25% off. The Gornergrat railway in Zermatt is also 25% off.

The Adventure Card includes free traveling on that section, regardless of the train type. The Glacier Express does require a seat reservation though; the regular trains do not require that. You’ll get a 50% discount on the lifts in Zermatt. Details about the pass coverage are here.

It depends on your exact plans whether it’s worth to buy an extra pass on top of InterRail. You can calculate what’s most economical.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2014 at 23:09:37 #839482

Thank you Arno for the quick and detailed reply.

I think I will take Local trains between Zermatt to Chur route as reviews have shown that we can make stopovers easily with freedom where In the case of Glacier express its not possible. And also I am interested In the Zermett area lifts too. Therefore I will buy 2 days Adventure card. Sounds OK?

Could you please suggest me the best Stops between Brig and Chur on regional trains?

Ali,Finland

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 January 2014 at 6:49:39 #839483

That depends on what you expect from the stop. If you want to go up a mountain with a lift and enjoy the view, you could do so in St. Niklaus (bus to Grächen), Betten, Fiesch or Andermatt. Mind the timetable of the lifts as they can be closed in April. Also you can get off on the Oberalp Pass. There’s most probably still snow there. If you just want to enjoy a nice village or town then Münster-Geschinen (very small), Brig (old town center, castle), Distentis (monastery) and Chur (old town centre) would qualify.

Enjoy the trip, and feel free to post a report once you’re back!

• The thread ‘Adventure Card on Glacier Express, Local Trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.