Advice – 4 day or 8 day Swiss Travel Pass

• Ashley7
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 March 2018 at 15:14:46 #814734

Hello,

I’m hoping to get some advice on an upcoming trip in May. There are 3 of us (18, 35 and 70). Since we’re flying non rev from America…we will either be flying into Zurich or Geneva, won’t know until minutes before that day. We have 2 nights reserved in a Geneva hotel to start our stay in Switzerland.

Tentative itinerary:

Day1 – Explore Geneva, Day2 – travel to Montreaux and then back to Geneva, Day3 – Travel to Montreaux again to go on Golden pass rail to Lucerne, spend days4,5&6 in and around Lucerne doing Pilatus gondola/funicular. Exploring the city, museums etc, possibly Bern. Day 7 take rail Zurich airport.

Any help, opinions welcome! It’s a difference of roughly $365 USD between 4 day and 8 day passes

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 18:13:38 #878588

Hi Ashley, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Why would you go back to Geneva from Montreux? Montreux is much nicer.

In order to pick the best rail pass for your trip read our page on how to choose the best rail pass. You’ll need to decide where you will be traveling to during your trip and do the math to compare point to point tickets vs. different rail passes.

There is also a Tell-Summer Pass which might be a good option for your stay around Lucerne.

Ashley7
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 March 2018 at 18:34:03 #878589

Hi Chantal,

My mom booked 2 nights in Geneva without us having any real plans and they’re non refundable, so we have to work with what we got 😉

I’m guessing if we do end up flying into Zurich…it’s a long ride to Geneva.

I will attempt to compare again.

Question – Do we have to worry about golden passes as far as reservations go? I’ve heard they only run twice daily out of Montreaux. Is this correct?

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 19:07:25 #878590

Hi Ashley,

Fingers crossed you’re not flying into Zurich.

You don’t have to worry about reservations for the Golden Pass. The “golden pass” panoramic trains are noted on the timetable as MOB Panoramic or Belle Epoque. Other standard trains run on this line as well so on the timetable you want to pick a train marked with the names above to ensure you are on a panoramic train.

Between 8 January and 29 June 2018, the Belle-Époque carriages are being renovated. Trains with conventional carriages will operate on this sector at the scheduled times for the Belle-Époque train.

When you use the timetable, make sure to put Zweisimmen in the via box. When you get to the next screen, click on the ‘plus’ sign on the right hand side of a preferable departure time. The timetable will expand and shows you the details so you can see whether it’s a MOB Panoramic, or not.

Between Lausanne and Montreux are a few quaint little villages. The area is known as the Lavaux Vineyards. On a nice summer evening I would stop for dinner in the harbor of Lutry. Please note that the walk back to the train station is uphill.

Ashley7
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 March 2018 at 19:16:46 #878591

Awesome info! Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 March 2018 at 6:38:47 #878592

Hi Ashley,

I just wanted to point out that the price different between 4- and 8-day Swiss Travel Passes is only $140 (2nd class). Even for 1st class the difference is only $221. For the 18 year old it’s even less as Youth passes are cheaper. In most cases that extra spending is well worth it for an additional 4 days, or 3 days in your case. But to be sure you’ll need to calculate as Chantal explained. Perhaps your quoted price was for all people combined, but then the same thing applies. It’s easy to spend that much money and more on regular tickets.

You can verify prices here: http://www.raileurope.com/pas s/swiss-pass-5934. Or check http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price for an overview of other retailers to buy from.

Enjoy your trip!

Ashley7
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 March 2018 at 10:47:12 #878593

Hi Arno,

Great info, thank you! Most likely going to get the 8 day and be worry free about traveling days. Just have to find a great deal.

You & Chantal’s help is much appreciated!

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 March 2018 at 11:17:52 #878594

Hi Ashley,

This might be the great deal you’re looking for: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/100-off-swiss-travel-pass-other-passestickets.

All Swiss Travel Pass deals are listed here at any time: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/promotio ns

Ashley7
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 March 2018 at 11:56:24 #878595

Perfect!! Thanks!!

• The thread ‘Advice – 4 day or 8 day Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.