Advice about hiking maps Wengen and Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2018 at 18:25:05 #819163

I am travelling to Switzerland to do some walking staying at Wengen and Zermatt. Can anyone recommend the maps I need to cover these areas?

Thanks

R

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 December 2018 at 20:48:29 #900252

Hi R-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

I can recommend a whole lot of maps. Too many. 😉

Online, or paper?

Do you want, as I expect, topographic maps?

This link will give you a good start:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

I like to plan trips with the Swiss Land Office 1:50,000 Wanderkarten, mentioned there. They have the defined hiking trails, die Wanderwege, marked in red.

For real detail, when hiking in a region with potential for serious accidents, I will sometimes carry the 1:25,000 ( not Wanderkarten).

There are a few bookstores left here and there in Switzerland, which carry these maps in entirety. Ask at the tourist office in the train station in the big cities. As noted on the page linked above, convenience stores ( Kiosk, Volg, Aperto) usually have maps for the nearby area. In alpine resorts, yhe sporting goods stores often carry them….such as Intersport.

This link leads to some recommended hikes:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/hiking-in-switzerland.html

The Swiss Land Office (SwissTopo) is the ultimate map resource:

shop.swisstopo.admin.c h/en/

There you can find all the paper maps, online maps, and a free App for your smart phone. Shows altitudes!

shop.swisstopo.admin.c h/en/products/maps/Swi ssMapMobile_Abo

This is absolutely the most complete professional map from them, with a great depth of professional cartography tools. Actually, I use it a lot when I am looking at specific places and altitudes:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=6&E=26 36253.33&N=1161783.33

I have turned on Hiking Trails.

The color coding is explained here:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

That should get you started. 😉

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    12 December 2018 at 17:42:10 #900253

Girdham953 – I’m doing the same thing out of the same 2 towns in Aug!

There is a ton of great stuff here about hiking, where to stay and how to get around. And the best part is that everyone, as you could tell from the post, is very helpful.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 December 2018 at 17:50:08 #900254

Forgot to ask – when are you going?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2018 at 21:58:07 #900255

Wow thanks that’s very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2018 at 22:00:01 #900256

Going in June. Hoping it’s a nice time to take advantage of the area.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 December 2018 at 22:46:24 #900257

When in June? It matters. Could be great or impossible at some of the trails near your targets. Altitude really matters in June.

For example, this outstanding trail (2300 to 2000 meters altitude) rarely opens before June 15th, and is usually a sure thing only in the last week of June or early July:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Snow hangs on near Tschuggen, where the trail does not get much sun.

Check the trails on this page…scroll down:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Or, go to the pages for Zermatt and Wengen, and check out

“What to do”

Slowpoke

PS –

The Hotel Eiger is now the Eiger Apartments in Wengen. The “times Square” picture was taken from the balcony of one of the rooms.

dayhikers
    Participant
    22 posts
    12 December 2018 at 23:08:56 #900258

Our hotel in Zermatt had hiking maps and lots of advice. So ask where you are staying. And visit the tourist office.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    12 December 2018 at 23:42:54 #900259

Hi R

The hotels in Wengen also have a very user friendly, fairly simple map they all hand out. I believe it was also available at the train station too. It lists and shows on the map about 30-40 hikes with some descriptions on the more popular ones. It also provides the appropriate hiking times for each hike and some elevations as well. I found It’s simple design to be very helpful. The concierge or hotel staff will likely be very helpful as well. Hiking is very popular in Wengen so the hotel staff is usually quite knowledgeable.

The map available at the hotels in Zermatt I found to be OK but not as good as the one in Wengen. The trails were fairly well marked in Zermatt but again not as good as Wengen. For instance we occasionally would come to a fork on the trail that we had to quess which way to go as they weren’t all marked. This was true on the trail to Zmutt as well as from Riffelalp to Riffelsee. We did find our concierge to be very helpful though.

I don’t have any personal experience with the local tourist office but I suspect they would be very helpful as well. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2018 at 0:17:22 #900260

I like the 1:60 000 Kümmerley & Frey walking maps (laminated so good for weather proof)

http://www.swisstravelcenter. ch/kf_wanderkarten.htm l

I’ve never got lost using one of these in combination with the signage on the ground

The Swiss topo 1:50000 walking version is also a good bet. Note that they are all being relaunched with new cartography (for the first time in about 50 years!)

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch /en/knowledge-facts/maps-and-more/new-national-maps/hiking-map.html

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 December 2018 at 0:34:41 #900261

Hi 1960man-

Indeed, the 1:50,00 Wanderkarte was what I note to be a good scale, and the red trail lines are nice.

If Kummerly and Frey at 1:60,000 ( which I have used in the past and now abandoned, because SwissToppo now offers the maps with red-marked trails) ) uses the same data set as Swisstopo, why not go for 1:50,00 and pick up a bit more detail? If they don’t use the Swisstopo data set, is theirs as good? I tend to have faith in the quality of the SwissTopo office and cartographers.

On the ground, the extra detail of the 1:25,000 ( non -Wanderkarten) has helped me in areas where there are lots of trails, and not so clear topography, because I can use the detail of the buildings to help me.

For example, near Eriswill, coming over the hill from Wyssachen and Dürrenbühl.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2018 at 17:30:54 #900262

Thank you so much for all the great advice, it’s really helpful. I’ll take a look at all the recommendations.

X

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 December 2018 at 19:36:34 #900263

When are you traveling?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 December 2018 at 0:42:26 #900264

Oooops-

missed your answer before.

When in June? It’s critical for hiking at higher altitudes.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Advice about hiking maps Wengen and Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.