Rail pass for Zurich, Wengen, Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 21:34:54 #821770

Hello,

We will be in Switzerland late afternoon on 7/1 – very early morning on 7/10. We have a simple itinerary planned, (hotels are booked) as we prefer hiking and mountain biking, and strolling in the Old Towns checking out architecture (churches, local haunts). We tend to avoid the more bustling tourists spots.

I’m thinking we don’t need a rail pass, but I’d like advice from anyone who has been in our situation, or has enough familiarity with the rail system/costs. I don’t have Excel, so could not download the comparison sheet.

We arrive to Zurich Airport and train to Zurich Main Station on 7/1 for our nearby hotel. We’ll walk Old Zurich before dinner. Next day, 7/2 we train to Wengen and stay until 7/8. We plan to hike Mannilichen-KS-Lauterbrunnern; SPlatt; Murren area for waterfalls. We will train to Bern if we have a very rainy day to check that out. Light intermittent rain does not stop us from hiking/walking :)) in the warm weather/lower elevations—sound feasible?

We train to Lucern 7/8 to check out Old Lucerne and the trails around the lake; historic basilica, etc. right there. Then on 7/10 we train back to Zurich airport. So, basically, 7-8 transports (w/ connections) counting the cog trains/gondolas to certain hiking areas.

It is two adults traveling. 1) What have you/would you do? 2) If we do or do not buy a pass, Is it important to buy certain tickets in advance, such as our ticket from Lucerne to Zurich airport to assure we get on a certain train and make our flight without any issue?

Thanks for you thoughts, and time. I am so impressed with how everyone is so very helpful and generous on this site! I hope that after our trip I can do the same with some Switzerland experience!

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Zurich, Wengen, Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.