Advice for winter hiking in Lauterbrunnen valley

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 6:13:33 #818974

I am spending 2.5 days in December.and looking to do two winter trails: Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg & Grutschalp-Murren. I hope to explore Murren, Gimmerwald on the way, and possibly explore Wengen on another day.

I am staying in Lauterbrunnen due to easy access to both sides of the valley. Can anyone advise how should i sequence my itinerary?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 16:00:45 #899243

Hi Dominic and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Really either direction is ok as you are doing a circle route with Murren in the middle. Both trails should be open I think but it is possible the Grutschalp isn’t (depends on the amount of snow – too much or too little and it won’t be open).

If you’d like more details on those hikes check the links below (and check with the local tourist information office for up to date conditions when you arrive.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2018 at 1:08:17 #899244

Hi Dominic:

<<“I am spending 2.5 days in December.”>>

You did not say on what dates in December you will be there. It helps us of you follow the forum guidelines and tell your dates in your first post.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

<<“Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.”>>

Early December is not likely to have snow on those trails. By the end of December, locals who depend on skiers for a living will be thankful for the snow, or wondering why the snow has not arrived. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2018 at 15:07:47 #899245

Thanks for the replies. I will be in the area from 17 – 20 Dec. Hopefully i get to see some snow 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2018 at 18:00:18 #899246

There will be plenty to see up on the higher mountains.

At lower altitudes……uncertain at best.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Advice for winter hiking in Lauterbrunnen valley’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.