Advice for 3-4 days trip in early April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2017 at 16:30:59 #810672

Hi everyone,

This is a wonderful forum for lots of information. But I am a bit overwhlemed too.

I am planning a trip with my husband (just the 2 of us) in early April to Switzerland. We love nature and sightseeing. We are looking for some small trails and walking to do (maybe not on all days) and also cover other must-see beautiful places. (Like Jungfroujoch?).

Any advice would be appreciated?

My rough plan is Wengen->Mannlichen->Kleine Scheidegg->Jungfroujoch. I assume this can be done in 1 day(?). Then Schilthorn->Murren->Birg->back to Murren. I assume this is another day(?). I gathered all these information from the forum here. I need help in connecting the dots for the plan. And also what to do for the 3rd day and maybe another half day.

I am also not sure of April weather 1st to 4th.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Deepthi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2017 at 0:56:50 #858472

Hi Deepthi-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

You have picked a beautiful region, but not the best time of year to explore it.

For a short trip, there is plenty to do and see, but some hotels and other services will not be available then.

You have proposed at least one walk at high altitudes. (Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg). That trail is likely blocked by snow until mid-June.

Train service ( cograil) near the Jungfrau runs all year.

Once you have a specific plan on a specific day, the timetable (plus a map) will help you learn what is possible:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/?pos=643856,159136&z=16

Zoom in on the map, and use the menus to help with travel options.

The area around Luzern, as well as the city itself, could be an option:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 January 2017 at 5:47:35 #858473

Hi Deepthi,

For information about the weather, please see:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2017 at 9:26:21 #858474

Hi Deepthi-

Adding to my earlier post –

1.-

<<“My rough plan is Wengen->Mannlichen->Kleine Scheidegg->Jungfroujoch. I assume this can be done in 1 day(?).”>>

In the Summer, that is correct. Depending on when you start, and how long you spend up at Jungfraujoch, you could a few hours left at the end of the day.

The Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail is available for hiking in the Summer and Fall, and is groomed for hiking during the main part of the ski season. However, as the weather gets warmer — roughly in April, depending on how warm it gets and snow conditions – the snow for skiing is not as good, it is more difficult to maintain the trail safely, and there are fewer visitors. Trail maintenance is discontinued until some time in the June time period mentioned. So, right now, the trail is normally open. It is also closed in early Winter/late Fall, and opens in approximately early to mid December.

I do not know exactly when maintenance will stop for the season, but it is possible that the trail might still be accessible in the earliest part of April. Hotels, train station staff, and tourist offices in the region all keep close watch on the conditions. They can help you.

Arno gave you links for the weather. In the Alps, it can change quickly, and it can be brilliantly clear up top while cloudy or foggy at low levels ( or, vice versa). (See attached images showing each variation, from mid-December 2016. Even with the conditions as shown in Fribourg about 50 km from Interlaken, at low altitude below the cloud deck, there were clear and sunny regions in the not-far-distant Emmental between Bern and Luzern).

It is difficult to predict the weather and sightseeing conditions with accuracy even two days in advance. So, it is wise to have contingency plans, in the region….such as visiting Brienz and the woodcarvers shops ( Jobin is one of the best) or Bern. Even Brig, since the Rhone Valley can be sunny when the rest of Switzerland is not. It is not uncommon to find extensive sunny periods on days when some rain and clouds are forecast, and due to the geography, regions only a few kilometers from each other may have different conditions almost anywhere in Switzerland.

2.- Jungfrau region and Bernese Oberland –

It is clear that you have done some reading about the region.

The two days of trips that you mention are good ideas, and can easily be fit into one day each as long as the cableways are running and the trails are open, with plenty of time to look around, if the weather is clear.

However, just to be sure that you have seen them, here are some links to consider for your other day or for contingencies –

These links can tell you more about the region, and the map and timetable linked earlier in the thread can help you understand how easy it is to get to Bern, or other options. Even Luzern is a possibility, but it is 1 hour 51 minutes each way from Interlaken Ost , via the rather scenic route over the Brunig Pass ( via Meiringen). Add time to/from Wengen if you stay there.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2017 at 9:39:56 #858475

Thank you Arno and thank you Slowpoke for your detailed response. I will look into the links that you sent. I’m not into skiing/snowboarding. I’m looking for sun and grass and water 🙂 I will do a little more reading and post my plan here.

Thanks once again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2017 at 9:56:12 #858476

Hi Deepthi-

Tough to get grass in the high altitudes in early April. Winter has not departed.Männlichen is at about 2200 meters above sea level.

At lower altitudes, Spring has begun, and is more advanced on the sunny western-facing slopes, such as the vineyards near Montreux, or near Weggis on Lake Lucerne.

For perspective on April conditions, I attach a panoramic image that I prepared from pictures taken at about 700 meters altitude in the Emmental near Sumiswald on approximately April 15th, 2014. In that year there had been a very dry, sunny spell over much of Switzerland for about a week to 10 days. Very unusual. Almost no rain. Warm….meaning about 18-23 degrees Celsius. I was wearing a jacket.

So, the vegetation was responding a bit earlier than n most years. Fields are being plowed for planting.

In that image you can see that the trees do not yet have leaves, but they are flowering.

The grass in the lowest areas is nicely green, but in many places it still has not responded to the warm temperatures and sunshine. There is still plenty of snow in the Alps. There is snow on the lower rocky ridges nearer the viewer, such as the Schrattenflue, at about 1800 to 2000 meters.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Advice for 3-4 days trip in early April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.