Third visit to Switzerland for elderly couple

• Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    20 March 2018 at 20:14:24 #814878

Greetings and Hello. Our third visit to Switzerland planned for late May, first two weeks June. Lucerne again our base. We are familiar with that area, Interlaken Engleberg etc. Plan to revisit Reformation Museum and possibly this time Ref. Wall

As we are now older ,perhaps last visit, we would appreciate suggestions as much uphill walking not suitable….not that we’re decrepit!

Is Bellinzona suitable? What about scenic postbus routes?

I want to take husband to Papermuseum in Basel. Other suggestions for Basel area?

Suggestions for Berne….bus or train trips from there to villages.? Suggestions for Zurich and nearby villages,

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 March 2018 at 23:01:43 #879329

Hi Roseclar-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps. It is always nice to have travelers with experienc ein Switzerland join us. 😉

For a start, take a look at each of the named cities by entering their name in the search box ( upper right).

The Reformation Wall in Geneva is on level ground. No climbing. However, if you wish to go up to the older part of town and St.Peters, you’ll have a bit of a climb.

The best parts of Bellinzona are up a few hills, as I recall.

Although this map us much more detailed than you will need, it can show you altitudes and steepness of hills ( the latter if you can read contour maps).

This link gets you to Bellinzona:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false&E=2 722628.88&N=1117163.35 &zoom=7

More later, and, in the meanwhile, search those city names.

Here is an an example from searching for Bern:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 1:03:08 #879330

Suggestions:

Bern: take the RBS narrow gauge railway and get off and walk around at any country station served by that network (three routes Bern – Solothurn, and Bern – Worb via two different routes). A typical wayside station on the Bern – Solothurn route is Schalunen

Basel: visit the roman remains at Augusta Raurica

Zurich: take the Forchbahn narrow gauge railway to Egg or Esslingen

Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    21 March 2018 at 21:06:47 #879331

Thanks for quick and helpful replies.

I have taken note of Solothurn . Old Arsenal Museum sounds interesting.

Also Augusta Raurica. I’ve looked into train and bus times from Basel station..

Have decided to look around Brienz as last time it was raining so we didn’t get off boat. Take boat from Interlaken and return to Lucerne by train.

Another day get off train in Meiringen and visit Sherlock Holmes museum. Also see what bus routes leave from there.

Would St. Gallen be worth a visit?

Do narrow-gauge lines leave from main railway stations?

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 March 2018 at 22:27:22 #879332

Hi Roseclar-

<<“Would St. Gallen be worth a visit?”>>

Please read down through this thread to my May 17th posting about St. Gall.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-zurich/page/2

also:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/swiss-itinerary-for-december-2015

on November 2.

Skt. Gallen should be hgh on the list for anyone who appreciates old Swiss towns and buildings. The Abbey and Abbey lirary are wonderful buildings, and a re a UNESCO WOrld Heriotage site.

The old town is short walk…may 10 minutes… from the train station with very little elevation change.

Augusta Raurica –

The ASwiss town name is Kaisersaugst:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Kaiseraugst

I actually enjoed Avanches as much as Kaisersaugst, but it depends on your own pesonal preferences. The amphitheater in Avanches ( Roman Aventicum) appeals to me:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Avenches

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/avenches.html

http://www.region-du-leman.ch/en/P946/avenc hes-roman-amphitheatre

Since I used to spend weekends in Murten/Morat when I worked in Geneva, Avences was easy to reach. Murten is quite a nice town, too:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Murten

Brienz-

I’d suggest a stop at Jobin. One of the most famous wood carvers, with a nice small ( small admission fee) museum. Every tiime I get near there I buy a music box for my granddaughter. You might consider a stop at Hotel Giessbach on your boat ride.. They have their own funicular, and a terrace with really nice views

Slowpoke.

Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    21 March 2018 at 23:29:06 #879333

Thank you so much Slowpoke (name makes me smile, childhood memories) for taking the time to write a detailed reply.

I am interested in all things historic and after reading your comments on St. Gallen it has been added to our list and I’m sure we will greatly enjoy it.

yes, the reason for spending time in Brienz is to go to Jobin. Thanks for confirming it.

I will look into your suggestions of Murten etc. We aren’t past it yet but after leg surgeries after an hour walking I would need to sit for a few minutes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 0:17:31 #879334

I agree with St Gallen

It is a compact city (like most Swiss cities!) so walking shouldn’t be a problem

All the Swiss narrow gauge lines connect at some point with the main line railway network

Another nice small place to visit is Appenzell

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2018 at 0:41:36 #879335

<<“Do narrow-gauge lines leave from main railway stations?”>>

Sometimes. 😉

They might have separate section of the station, or share a compact station, as at Interlaken Ost.

Often, they are branch lines, diverging from the standard gauge mainline at a variety of stations.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 2:01:45 #879336

>> visit to Switzerland planned for late May, first two weeks June … What about scenic postbus routes? … Another day get off train in Meiringen … see what bus routes leave from there.

Are you looking for scenic PostBus routes leaving from Meiringen?

The major scenic PostBus route from Meiringen is the Vierpässefahrt (Four Passes trip), but you are a bit early for it, as it runs 23 June–14 October 2018.

However, you can do the first section of that route, just as far as the Grimsel Pass. The route is Meiringen, Bahnhof to Grimsel Passhöhe (top of the Grimsel Pass). This service, Bus #161, starts up after the winter break on 9 June, and there are only two departures a day (9:25 and 13:25), arriving at the top of the pass at 10:29 and 14:29 respectively. Return trips to Meiringen from Grimsel Passhöhe are at 11:30 and 15:56. If interested, you can read about it at the beginniing of my trip report on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/postbus-through-four-passes-of-the-central-alps

The bus from Meiringen to Grindelwald over the Grosse Scheidegg (and return) will start up again from 19 May 2018. From 19 May–1 June, there are 4 departures a day in each direction. The number of services per day increases from 2 June. The route is Meiringen, Bahnhof to Grindelwald, Bahnhof via Grosse Scheidegg. I have written a trip report about this trip if you are interested:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-over-the-grosse-scheidegg-by-bus

You can plan these trips using the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 5:07:39 #879337

We really enjoyed spending a day in Bellinzoa last summer! We bought a pass that covered all the castles and the tourist train that you could ride up to all the castles on the hill. There was minimal walking up and down hill, just pleasant walking around the castles and looking out at the views.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 March 2018 at 5:24:17 #879338

I agree Bellinzona is very nice. And the castle nearest to the station has a lift which takes you from street level up to the lower battlements. The “train” is too cute – http://www.ticino.ch/en/commo ns/details/Artù-the-small-train-of-the-Castles/131449.html 😎

Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    22 March 2018 at 14:50:05 #879339

My thanks to each of you for taking the time to give me helpful and detailed information.

Alpenrose, last year we had to cancel visit to Switzerland and Four Passes trip so your info. is exactly what I was looking for! Read your reports and checked timetable, am I correct in understanding that buses are direct to Grindelwald except for 11.33 one?

Rockoyster and Momcat, thanks for info. on Bellinzona. Will go there. Have decided not to go agajn to Geneva and have added Raperswil and Lake Thun area to list.

We greatly enjoyed visits to Switzerland, there is something for all ages and interests and transportation is so easy. This forum is a great help so again my thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2018 at 15:43:15 #879340

Hi Roseclar –

<<” Raperswil”>>

Rapperswil is nice, and could be the end-station for a lake boat ride. Of course, the train is faster.

I’ve attached some pictures showing a part of the area very near to Rapperswil, that is not always considered along with Rapperswil.

I like to stay at Hurden ( on the Seedamm) because I find the fish menu at the resturant Rössli to be very nice, as well as enjoying the lakeside location.

map.search.ch/?pos=705288,230304&z=64 &poi=zug

There is train stop at Hurden on the local line that goes to Pfäffikon.

There is bit of history there, too. The Jakobsweg ( Way of St. James) has crossed the lake there since the middle ages.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 23:45:11 #879341

>> am I correct in understanding that buses are direct to Grindelwald except for 11.33 one?

Yes. Theoretically the route between Meiringen and Grindelwald is operated by two separate bus services – Meiringen to Schwarzwaldalp (operated by PostBus), and Schwarzwaldalp to Grindelwald, (operated by Grindelwald Bus).

However, in practice, a lot of the time the one bus takes you the whole way, and just changes its route number at Schwarzwaldalp.

As you have noticed, the timetable will tell you whether or not you have to change to a different bus at Schwarzwaldalp. It’s an easy transfer outside the Schwarzwaldalp restaurant, in a lovely alpine setting.

If you will have a Swiss Travel Pass, it provides free travel between Grindelwald and Oberer Gletscher (which is at the edge of Grindelwald village), and between Meiringen and Schwarzwaldalp. The middle sector between Oberer Gletscher and Schwarzwaldalp is discounted at 50%. On boarding the bus, state your destination to the driver and show your Swiss Travel Pass so you only get charged for that short sector. It will probably be about CHF 11.

Alpenrose

Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    23 March 2018 at 14:58:35 #879342

Thanks Alpenrose for very helpful info. on Postbus from Meiringen. Yes, we always buy 1st class 15 day pass , makes traveling so easy , and will buy train ticket Zurich-Lucerne on arrival at airport and return ticket on day we leave Lucerne.

Thanks Slowpoke. Over week-end I’ll look into Hulden St. James’s Way and Rapperswil. We always have specific places we want to visit and some days we get off train in villages, walk around as there is usually interesting history.and views.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2018 at 15:24:13 #879343

Hi Reseclar –

It’s “Hurden” not “Hulden.”

You can access that boardwalk at Rapperswil or at Hurden. It is a nice, easy walk.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Third visit to Switzerland for elderly couple’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.