Advice for first trip to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2012 at 11:42:52 #805393

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Europe for the first time in September. One of our destinations is Switzerland. We are both in our late 20s and our main interest is nature and scenic places.

Since this will be our first time to Switzerland, I have a few doubts that I will highly appreciate if someone could answer for me.

We will arrive at Geneva on a TGV from Paris on Sept. 17th at 3pm. We are trying to decide whether to stay in Geneva or head to Montreux for the rest of the day.

On the 18th, we are planning to take the Golden Pass Panoramic train to Interlaken. We have already bought the 2×1 promotion for a Swiss Pass. I have also already booked VIP seats on the train from Montreux to Zweisimmen. Here comes my first doubt: I believe the Swiss Pass covers the Golden Pass Panoramic train, and since I booked the VIP seats, do I need to buy or reserve anything else for this train ride? What about from Zweisimmen to Interlaken, do I also need to book a reservation? And lastly, should be stay a couple of hours in Zweisimmen or head straig to Interlaken (I believe it is only a 6 minute time lapse for changing trains, is this enough??)

Once we arrive in Interlaken, we wish to go up into the mountains for 3 nights. Which town should we stay at? Murren, Wengen or Gimmelwald? And does our Swiss Pass cover the trip to either of this towns?

After 3 nights in the area, we are heading to Venice and would like to take the Bernina Express. I believe taking a regional train will get us from Interlaken to Chur. And from there, we can get on the Bernina express (which I think we need reservations, right?). Once arriving at Tirano, how can we get to Venice? One last question, do the trains have food service? Can we have breakfast or lunch or snacks on board? And I also read about having to pay extra for luggage, is this correct?

I know there are a ton of questions, but I am a little lost in this area right now. I would love if someone could clear things up for me.

Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2012 at 23:45:47 #836504

hI grace,
    i am from India ,but i keep going to Switzerland very often.once you have a valid swiss pass,all rail journeys in the swiss region is free,except for the cable cars and for that also you can avail discounts.it’s better you get the cable car tkts also from the same source from where you purchased the swiss pass.if you buy it is swiss stations,it can be expensive.once in geveva,except for lake geneva,there is not much to see.but since you are arriving at geneva only by 3pm,in all possibility i think you will miss the last golden pass train with vip seats 2128 leaves montreaux at 15.45 hrs.but you can still look at the timetable at their site http://www.goldenpass.ch.if you know that you will miss the train,better stay for the night at geneva and have some fun by the lake side.you dont have to pay extra on the golden pass and you can hop into the next connecting train to interlaken.they always have a train waiting for the passengers from montreux to take them to interlaken.the 6 mins that you have is more than sufficient as the train to interlaken is always on the next platform n you just walk to the train.you can check for reservations for the bernia express on their website or even you can enquire and get it done at interlaken ost station.the hills from interlaken are all fabulous and i recommend to go to jungfrau top too.you can stay at grindelwald.in tirano,you actually arrive in a narrow gauge train and then you will have to get into the bigger trenitalia trains and you have to go to milan and then take e train to venizia.but unlike the swiss trains which are dot on time,every time,the italian trains are delayed especially trains to and from milano .so you keep sufficient time to get inti the next train at milano centrale.
    i have tried to answer most of your questions and i wish you a great trip to the swiss alos.if yu ever plan a trip to india,do write to me on [email protected] and you will be surprised to know that we have very beautiful mountains upin the himalayas for you to see.
    regards
    nand

• The thread ‘Advice for first trip to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.