Rail pass for Zurich – Bernina Express – Klosters

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 15:11:53 #811026

Hi, We are traveling to Switzerland on March 19. We will be doing 3 major train trips and, in reading through this very helpful website, it looks like a rail pass would be a good option. I was hoping I could get some help with the details. For instance, which rail pass would be best, details on booking the Bernina Express, etc. I will be traveling with my 2 kids, ages 12 and 14.

Our trip originally was a week skiing in Klosters, but at the last minute we have added a few days’ visit to Northern Italy to meet a friend.

Our itinerary;

March 20 arrive Zurich airport – train to old city (Is it best to take a train to The old city or a taxi?)

March 21 or 22- train from Zurich to Milan

March 24 or 25 – Bernina Express from Tirano to Davos (final destination will be Klosters). Note, we might also need an Italian train to reach Tirano from Northern Italy depending on our Italian friend’s willingness to drive us to Tirano.

April 1st train from Klosters to Zurich.

April 2 Train to Zurich airport.

After writing all of this out, it looks like a Eurasia pass might be best?

Thanks so much,

Hillary

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 18:16:27 #859924

Hi Hillnyc and welcome to MySwissAlps!

March 20: It is about 20 minutes and 45chf to taxi to downtown Zurich. You can also take a direct train 10 to 15 minutes and 3chf to the main train station (and then walk 5 minutes to the ‘old town’).

I think you are talking about the Eurail Select Pass? If you aren’t planning on training much in Italy (other than getting to and from the Swiss border I would look at a Swiss half-fare card.

I think the Swiss Half-Fare card may be best as it gives you 50% off all train trips within Switzerland (it will give you a partial discount on Zurich to Milan as well (and returning to Tirano). This may be best as you will be skiing for a week and probably not using trains much at all?

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 11:32:12 #859925

Thanks Lucas,

Our plans have changed a little. We will be flying to Venice form Zurich and then training back to Switzerland. I would love to get a pass that would allow me to avoid having to buy tickets at the station. Any ideas? Our train plans will now consist of a trains from:

• Lecco, Italy to Tirano, Italy
    • Bernina Express to Filsur
    • Filsur to Klosters
    • Klosters to Zurich Airport

PS…We plan to send some luggage ahead when we land in Zurich, before going to Italy. Our hotel has suggested we can do this from the airport. Is this true? Do you know any of the details?

Thanks,

Hillary

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 17:43:23 #859926

Hi Hillary,

To avoid buying tickets at the stations you will want to get either the Swiss Travel Pass (3,4,8 or 15 days of consecutive travel) or the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (where you can choose the days you use the pass on within a set 30 days).

Yes, you can send luggage at any staffed railway station, including the office at the Zurich airport. More details on sending luggage can be found here, and details on Zurich airport found here.

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Zurich – Bernina Express – Klosters’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.