Mar 13, 2018 - 7:13 PM
Thank you so much for the information Lucas...
To all, I'm going to be a little provocative (or maybe not) and leave my request very open, as we are somewhat flexible. For parameters, we will fly into Zurich on July 1st and depart Zurich on July 15th (we cannot change this). We do want to divide our time between the Mountains and the Cities, but our focus is the Alps. We love the train and would prefer this as our main mode of transportation between all destination points.
Or current thoughts:
- Upon Arrival in Zurich: Train from Zurich to Lucerne and 3 nights in Lucerne (lake and mountain day trips)
- Train from Lucerne to Zermatt and 3 nights in Zermatt (realizing somewhat of a long train ride 3.5 hours)
- Train from Zermatt to Bern and 3 nights in Bern (with local day trips to Gruyeres and Chateau Chillon)
- OR Train from Zermatt to Montreux: Visit Chillon and stay a night and visit Gruyeres for the day on the way to Bern…too aggressive?
- Train from Bern to Grindelwald and 3 nights in Grindelwald (Matterhorn and Gornergrat)
- Train from Grindelwald to Zurich for 1 night
- Departure from Zurich
For reference, we are approaching retirement but are both in decent shape:-) We are not athletes nor experienced hikers.
Are we being too aggressive with this schedule? Also, is there a much more efficient way to navigate the highlights of Switzerland in 14 days?
We would like to fully absorb the experience yet are not the type that need to experience everything by staying a half day and then rapidly moving on to the next place.
We appreciate suggestions from those that who might have been in our shoes…
Once we establish the most efficient route then we would appreciate suggestions within each stay.
Al and Debbie