Advice for Luzern winter boat ride schedule

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 3:25:14 #818965

Hi,

Family of 4 are going to Paris and Switzerland in middle of Feb for 9 days. We will take TGV train from Paris to Luzern and check-in in the evening. Next day, we are going to take a boat ride and back to Luzern to take the last train at 3pm to Interlaken for 2 nights. Here is my question, We will not able to do the whole round trip boat ride from Luzern to Fluelen since it will be 3 hours each way. When I look at the Winter time table from the link below. The earliest departure time is 9:12am at Luzern and arrive at Beckenried at 10:26am.( As i believe this is the further route i can go since i need to return for the 3pm train) But the return time from Beckenried is 10:30am and back to Luzern at 11:41am. My concern is that there is only 4 minutes spare time for us to get on the boat from Beckenried to Luzern. Am I missing something in the time table?

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2019/ Fahrplan_Winter_2018_2 019.pdf

Thanks.

Ray

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 November 2018 at 5:40:35 #899180

Hello Ray and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The Luzern to Interlaken Express runs hourly all day so the train at 3:06 is not the last one.

You could go all the way to Fluelen and catch a train from there to Luzern to speed up the return journey. You can catch a train or bus and it will only take an hour to get back to Luzern. You could catch the 10:12 boat through to Flüelen and still be back in Luzern by 3.00pm – no sweat.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel.

If you want to change boats at Beckenried then 4 minutes is not a problem. You just get off one boat and the boat going the opposite direction will then arrive to collect you. This is how the Swiss Public Transport operates – like clockwork. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 14:09:19 #899181

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks for your wonderful advice !

I would go all the way to Fluelen and return by train or bus as we will be using Swiss pass cover the train, bus and boat ride in Swiss. Regarding the express train that runs hourly from Luzern to Interlaken, is it the Goldenpass route and run hourly throughout the day? We like to take the scenic train route to Interlaken. Does Goldenpass require seat reservation in advance? I use the SBB timetable from Luzern to Interlaken departure at 3pm and return with 3:06pm. However, I could not tell it is goldenpass route or regular train (There is a train icon in blue and letter IR in red).

Can we bring luggage to the boat ride (2 big and 3 hand carry)?

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

Thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 November 2018 at 19:31:32 #899182

Hello Ray,

The Luzern-Interlaken Express is both part of the scenic Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) and a regular train. Reservations are possible but not normally required.

Yes you can take luggage on the boat but it may be more convenient for you to leave your larger bags in lockers at Luzern Station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 0:59:12 #899183

The query about the Luzern – Interlaken train is so common on this forum I have it saved as an ‘FAQ’ on my computer ready to paste!:

For Luzern – Interlaken journeys, ignore the phrase GoldenPass in this instance.

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brünig Pass railway (the true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux).

The Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. They are red white and black electric metre gauge trains. They run from Platforms 12 – 14

Due to the geography of the area the lines from Luzern and Interlaken approach Meiringen from the same direction, so the trains must reverse direction in Meiringen station (bear this in mind – as you will want to see the Brienzersee which is on the left side of the train if travelling towards Interlaken from Meiringen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 1:03:35 #899184

Going all the way to Fluelen and back by boat can be a bit wearing.

I recommend you take the 10.12 boat from Luzern (direct boat unlike the 9.12 which requires a change of boat at Beckenried). Arriving at Fluelen at 12.55

Get the 13.42 IR train from Fluelen direct to Luzern (no change of trains necessary and the train is inter-city type carriages not a spartan local unit.

Arrive Luzern 14.41

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 12:27:28 #899185

Thanks for everyone’s great advice!

I will do the 9.12 boat ride and change the boat at Beckenried then continue to Fluelen. Take the 12:42 IR train from Fluelen direct to Luzern. Arrive earlier to do some local town walking at Luzern before take the train to Interlaken for 2 nights.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2018 at 17:48:50 #899186

<<“I will do the 9.12 boat ride and change the boat at Beckenried then

continue to Fluelen. Take the 12:42 IR train from Fluelen direct to

Luzern. Arrive earlier to do some local town walking at Luzern before

take the train to Interlaken for 2 nights.”>>

Sounds good. Both boats have “minibar” with snacks, maybe sandwiches. Not a restaurant

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2018 at 0:13:10 #899187

After discussed with my wife. We probably take the boat ride upto Brunnen and return to Luzern by train as going all the way to Fluelen may be to much for the kids.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 November 2018 at 0:33:23 #899188

<<“We probably take the boat ride upto Brunnen and return to Luzern by

train as going all the way to Fluelen may be to much for the kids.”>>

That way you miss the best part (my opinion) of the lake.

Consider taking the train to Flüelen, and riding the boat northwards. You could get off at Brunnen, or ride further to other stops. All of the other stops have bus or rail connections to Luzern. Some are good connections, some require a cahnge at some station or another.

I’ll look at the schedule with an eye on connections. I’ll try to get back quickly, but it is holiday and family time here in the US, so I may be slow.

If you have not already use it , this may be helpful:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Not sure how many routes run when you are there….

You might look at riding the boat as far as Vitznau, taking the train up to Rigi Kulm, and returning to various stations that let you make comnnections back to Luzern.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2018 at 0:08:59 #899189

Some responses to your latest thoughts:

<<Take the 12:42 IR train from Fluelen direct to Luzern.>>

The 12.42 IR from Fluelen is not direct to Luzern, which is exactly why I suggested the 13.42. The operating pattern is: IR’s from Fluelen run to Zurich or Luzern but each route only gets a train every 2 hours, giving a service every hour as far as Arth Goldau. If there is no direct train, you have to change at Arth Goldau

<<After discussed with my wife. We probably take the boat ride upto Brunnen and return to Luzern by train as going all the way to Fluelen may be to much for the kids.>>

Not recommended: Brunnen is a much worse place to switch between boat and train as the SBB station in Brunnen is a long way from the lakeshore, unlike Fluelen where the station and landing stage are adjacent to each other.

I also totally agree with Slowpoke, Brunnen – Fluelen is the most interesting section of the lake, up close to the mountains. it is actually the Urnersee – so almost (and officially) a different lake. On the 10.12 boat you will stop at Rutli, the cradle of the Swiss confederation very historical landmark

• The thread ‘Advice for Luzern winter boat ride schedule’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.