4-day June trip Paris-Zermatt-Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2019 at 0:10:40 #820061

Hello, we are traveling from Paris to Switzerland on June 3, 2019. We read that the most scenic train route to Switzerland is through Geneva. We thought about staying one night there, but have a 14-year-old traveling with my husband and I, and a friend told us to maybe just stop there and have lunch instead and walk around and then travel on to Zermatt.

Questions: Can we stop in Geneva briefly, Montreux to see the castle, and still get to Zermatt (or even close to Zermatt for one night) that same day? We can also stay one night elsewhere before Zermatt, but I thought if we spent Monday, June 3 & Tuesday, June 4 in Zermatt, there might be a chance we could get to the Jungfrau region for two nights as well before heading back to Paris on Friday, June 7. I have more questions, but this is a good start: is it possible to easily travel from Zermatt to somewhere in the Jungfrau region (we really just want to see the area and maybe do the Shlithorn gondola!).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2019 at 8:59:38 #904792

Hi Annlev40 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you want to perhaps poke around either Geneva or Montreux on your way to Zermatt then your best option in regards to train tickets is to buy from Paris to Geneva only. Then in Geneva buy a ticket to Zermatt (via Montreux) as these tickets are valid all day and you can hop off where you please before continuing on later.

You can use the SBB timetable to find train departure and duration around Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You can buy tickets to Geneva here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france/pric e

As for buying a ticket to Zermatt from Geneva, before you decide to do this I would look into a rail pass for Switzerland. Depending on your final itinerary over your 4 days, it will probably save you money.

Have a read here for more information: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 0:57:04 #904793

Thank you! Yet another question: if we depart Zermatt on Thursday, would there be enough time to stay somewhere in the Jungfrau region (recommendations welcome! Towns or hotels!), view the Jungfrau (even if only from a distance), spend one night (Thursday depart Friday), and take a train from that Jungfrau-area town back to Paris?

Otherwise, we simply thought about traveling to Bern from Zermatt, spending one night there (Thursday) and leaving Friday back to Paris from Bern.

Your advice is very valuable! Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 9:25:18 #904794

Yes, you could train to the Jungfrau region on Thursday and then continue on to Paris the next day.

I’d recommend Grindelwald or Wengen for towns that (weather dependent) offer good views to the Jungfraujoch.

We have hotel suggestions on every town page as well for you to look through:

• The thread ‘4-day June trip Paris-Zermatt-Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.