Advice on 5-Seenweg hike in Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:13:17 #814026

Hi,

I am planning on visiting Switzerland for the second time around, after a wonderful trip in 2016, thanks to the help of this forum.

I will be visiting in late September and will be based in Lauterbrunnen for a few days. I would like to do the 5 Lakes walk in Zermatt. I looked at google maps and noticed that there are about 3 train changes, a furnicular ride and a cable car ride to reach Blauherd from Lauterbrunnen. That was just a random check.

Cold you please let me know the best way to plan this trip (best starting point and how to reach there, advice on where to take the furnicular and the gondola from)?

I am a sole female traveller and able to handle moderate hikes.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:23:17 #874218

Hi Traveller3,

So from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt you will have 3 connections – it is unavoidable. The timetable automatically gives you the most direct route available.

From Zermatt you take a funicular to Sunnegga and a cable car on to Blauherd to start the trip (which then ends back at Sunnegga). You can find a good description and details on the 5-Seenweg (5 lakes trail) here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:51:13 #874219

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for the information.

Could you please let me know from where I can find out more details about the operating hours of the cable car and the funicular?

Also, is the 5 lakes trail marked throughout? My sense of direction is not that great, so don’t want to get lost! 🙂

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 13:00:10 #874220

Yes, hiking trails are well marked in Switzerland.

You can find timetable information on the website I linked above. Here is a direct link.

At Zermatt and most ski resorts, chair lifts, cable cars etc. typically run constantly all day so you just find opening and closing times. You can use the SBB timetable on my previous link as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 18:03:34 #874221

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for the very useful information.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2018 at 19:58:52 #874222

Lucas provided a link to the railway timetable. Check out the Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt route via Kandersteg and follow that if you have time. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route between Spiez and Brig, giving you a wonderful view of the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 3:08:09 #874223

Thank you for the recommendation. I will be selecting that option.

• The thread ‘Advice on 5-Seenweg hike in Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.