Advice on 7 nights mid-April Swiss itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 13:41:19 #814817

Hi all!

My mum and I will be travelling to Geneva in April (11/4) for a 7 nights trip, fly out from Basel. We are going for the scenery and food, also museums and sight-seeing in historical towns.

I’m planning to use the SwissPass 8 days and based in Montreux, Interlaken and Lucerne.

This is the plan, any comments or advice will be appreciated 🙂

Thanks in advance for your help.

Day 1 (11/4)

Arrive at Geneva (13:40) – Montreux

• Château de Chillon
    • Lake tour (boat using Swiss Pass)
    • Rochers-de-Naye railway (w/ Château de Chillon?)

Day 2 (12/4)

Montreux – Zermatt – Gornergrat– Matterhorn

OR

Gruyères (Cheese factory) – Broc Fabrique (Maison Cailler – Chocolate Factory)

My priority will be going to Zermatt, but surely this will depends on the weather.

Day 3 (13/4)

Montreux – Bern – Interlaken

• Sightseeing at Bern and arrive at Interlaken around ~4-5pm

Day 4 (14/4)

Interlaken – Grindlewald – Klein Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch

Is it possible/worthwhile to explore Harder Kulm as well? Or it will be too rush fit this in?

Day 5 (15/4)

Interlaken – Blausee (before 2pm) – Schilthorn

Day 6 (16/4)

Interlaken – Lucerne (GoldenPass)

• Sightseeing in Lucerne
    • Sammlung Rosengart

Day 7 (17/4)

Lucerne – Zurich (Day trip)

• Kunsthaus museum
    • Fraumuster Church
    • Heidi Weber Museum

Day 8 (18/4)

Lucerne – Basel (fly out at 21:55)

• Sightseeing in Basel
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 9:01:37 #879031

Hi jho1328 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

A pretty nice plan! I’d just add a couple comments for you.

Day 2: It is hard to predict whether the weather will affect your views of the Matterhorn all day. I might take the change and go to Zermatt regardless – just don’t go up Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn if the weather is very poor. Just a thought if you really want to try and see the Matterhorn.

Day 4: April 14 is opening day for Harder Kulm. You could indeed do that and Jungfraujoch on one day but it’ll be a long one – personal preference. I’d check the weather on Jungfraujoch that morning and if it looks good go right away and see how your day goes. If the weather is poor try Harder Kulm in the morning and check the weather again in the afternoon.

Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all the trips and see what will work for your group. What is too long for me might be fine for you or vice versa. 🙂

• The thread ‘Advice on 7 nights mid-April Swiss itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.