Advice on 8 day itinerary in mid-Sept 2017

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 21:02:32 #811412

Hello,

As my title suggest, I would greatly appreciate advice on my planned itinerary below. If its too rushed (ie too many things packed into 1 day) , or if i’m missing some must do’s in the area i’m visiting. Please would you be able to also let me know what kind of weather to expect? I read one of the post from Slowpoke who mentioned that September is an ideal time to visit.

I actually have flexibility of 2 weeks available ( 9th to 24th Sept). But plan to have a 8 day trip beginning either on the 9th or 10th Sept to match with the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass (STP). However, would be open to extending beyond the 8 days, as i personally think all the things outlined in my itinerary below feels a bit too rushed.

Basic information about myself, based in London, male, will be 26 this year , so i think i still qualify for the Youth price for the STP ? Have visited Switzerland (Lucerne, Mt Titlis, Interlaken & Jungfrau) once in winter (December), 14 years ago on a family trip. This time, it will be a solo trip (at least for now).

Accommodation will be at youth hostels which are reasonably priced and have a good standard. Some also offer the option of self – catering kitchen. Would also welcome any accommodation or good food recommendations.

Day 1 (9th or 10th Sept) : London – Basel – Lucerne

Depending on the time I arrive in Lucerne, might just explore the city and Chapel bridge.

Day 2: Basel – Lucerne

I know Mt Rigi is free being included in the STP. But i hear Mt Pilatus is better ? Any advice ? I also plan to visit Stanserhorn purely because of its unique open air cable car. (CabriO). Is Stanserhorn worth it ?

Day 3: Lucerne – Interlaken

On the way to Interlaken, i plan to go to Trift Bridge. I have to do further reading on this. I know i need to take the yellow Postal bus to the base of the 8 person gondola with a further 1.5 hour hike up to the suspension bridge. I am also tempted by the Brienz Rothorn bahn, as it offers spectacular views of Lake Brienz at the top. Then take the a cruise on the Brienz Lake to Interlaken. Overnight at Interlaken.

Day 4 & 5 : Interlaken to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen

Plan to visit Harder Klum before heading off to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen where i will stay for 2 nights. Maybe 1 night each ? I have been up to Jungfrau on my last visit so i would rather prefer to explore areas i’ve not been.

Option 1 : Grindelwald – plan is to go up to First, and hike to Bachalpsee

Option 2: Lauterbrunnen – Staubbach Falls, Murren – Gimmelwald via ferrata & Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg easy hike (http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg/route)

Day 6 & 7 : Kandersteg

Plan is to do the Kandersteg-Allmenalp via ferrata & Hike around Lake Oeschinen. See blog link for the hike that i plan to do -> https://fullsuitcase.com/oeschinen-lake-hiking-kids/ & another blog http://whereisper.com/blog/escaping-to-the-mountains-kandersteg-switzerland . In the 2nd blog, halfway through the blog post, there’s a picture with the caption being “the route” which is halfway up the vertical mountain cliffs surrounding the lake. Upon closer inspection, there are steel cables installed along that route, which are normally on via ferrata routes. Any idea ?

Day 8 : Kandersteg to either Geneva Airport or Basel Airport back to London (or any must visit areas in Switzerland to tempt me to extend my stay)

I have experience on via ferrata having spent an entire week in the Dolomites doing a hut to hut trek with via ferrata last summer and absolutely loved it.

Weather will play a very important role given everything is outdoors and I haven’t factored in a free day for bad weather.

Thank you in advance !

Ben

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 April 2017 at 0:57:13 #861595

Hi Ben –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps, and I’m leased to note tat you have been doing some reading.

Great time of year to visit. Or, did I say that before? 😉

Frankly, I did not work over your itinerary.

Before I do that, all of us would like to know what your objectives are. What do you really want to do? Ride trains? Look at scenery? Hike? Go to museums? Eat great food and enjoy good wines? Wander in the countryside, where tourists don’t usually go? Visit a show dairy…or a castle? Walk in the vineyards?…etc

Can you offer some perspectives? I, at least, would prefer to read your own words, rather than guess from what you have written.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2017 at 8:52:05 #861596

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for the reply.

I enjoy reading up / doing my own research on the internet mainly through blogs because it really gives me a feel of someone who has been there. I am also more well informed and can plan much more efficiently.

I’m more towards being in the outdoors and a little adventure as i have included 2 via ferrata’s in my itinerary. My objective is daily hikes with amazing scenery (at least in the Bernese Oberland area). Train rides will be part and parcel of travelling, although i suspect you refer to the panaromic trains such as the Glacier Express & Bernina Expresss etc. I know that these trains are included for free in the STP but from my itinerary, i don’t see how I can fit it in.

Not a fan of musuems. Everyone would love great food and wine, but its especially expensive eating out in Switzerland. But i can make some exception for a few highly recommended places since i’m on a holiday. A castle would be nice, I know of Schloss Schadau by the shore of Lake Thun.

I look forward to your reply and recommendations !

Cheers !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2017 at 12:54:12 #861597

Hi Ben

If you want to visit a castle in Bernese Oberland, there are 4 which we have visited on or near Lake Thun, the largest is Schloss Thun. Also consider Schloss Oberhofen which has a boat dock on the lake and is also on the 21 bus route from Interlaken to Thun, as is Schloss Huenegg which often has special exhibitions. On the other side of the lake is Schloss Spiez. All are worth a visit. I think they all have a website where you can find opening times and details about any special displays this summer. I believe they are all free with Swiss Travel Pass. Note that Schloss Schadau is now a restaurant.

Maggie

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    15 April 2017 at 13:12:45 #861598

Hi bensumwong,

Your itinerary looks great! For my money, I’d go to Mt Pilatus instead of the Rigi, it’s more spectacular, but only if the weather is fine. Take the cable car up and walk down if you have the time.

You seem to like a bit of excitement, so might I suggest the doing the Cliff Walk on your way back from Bachalpsee and then the First Flyer? http://ziprider.com/rides/grindelwald/. There are also 2 Klettersteige (via ferrata) you can reach from Grindelwald, the Schwarzhorn, which is about an hours walk from First, and the Rotstock which is right next to the Eiger! Your option 2 looks over set. If you want to do the Mürrenflue Klettersteig, you might want to consider not doing the Männlichen walk. It just comes down to time available. This Klettersteig has a Tyrolienne traverse that you can only do with a guide.

The Allmenalp Klettersteig is one of the best there is, challenging, satisfying and with fantastic views. It’s also one of the most popular around, so expect a bit of a que if the weather’s nice. My avatar is a photo of me on the long traverse a few years ago. I don’t know how much experience you have, but I would recommend not going alone and make sure you have a good via Ferrata set. Likewise with the Mürrenflue, parts of the Allmenalp can only be done with a guide, but there is a path around them so you can complete the climb.

I had a look at the blog you mentioned and the cables shown are not part of a Klettersteig, they are just assistance cables you find on a lot of walks in places where the going gets steep. The Swiss aren’t big on Danger signs, if you want to go somewhere a bit risky, go for it, but the sudden appearance of a cable bolted to the rock is their way of saying Be Careful.

Hope this is useful

Alan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 April 2017 at 15:07:31 #861599

Hi Alan –

Sounds like great advice for those who are a bit more adventuresome than I, and in better shape. Walking down from Pilatus would disable my knees for a week. ;-(. And, the cog-rail is a much better than average ride.

I prefer the Rigi because of some nice walks with views over the lake, and the outstanding, if “slow-food” kitchen and the amazing wine cellar at the Hotel Bergsonne. Not nearly as striking as the high mountain scenery and activities. Very different from what you have mentioned.

Mostly, though, because I’ve been up to Pilatus twice and that was enough. There is not a whole lot to do up top, although the views are fantastic.

This map of the Rigi shows an easy walk with pleasant views. It is the walk out to Chännzeli on the way down from Rigi Kulm to Rigi- Staffelhöhe to Chänzeli to Kaltbad:

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=211121.00&Y=677449.0 0&zoom=9&lang=en&topic =swisstopo&bgLayer=ch. swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

http://www.bergsonne.ch/

Very different from what you have mentioned.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 April 2017 at 15:23:14 #861600

Mount Rigi and Pilatus are both free with a Swiss Travel Pass, so no need to make a choice based on expenses: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

Both are wonderful in their own way, our Rigi and Pilatus pages explain what to expect.

• The thread ‘Advice on 8 day itinerary in mid-Sept 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.