Zermatt

Feb 21

Zermatt – St Moritz

Overnight St Moritz

Feb 22-24

Lucerne

Mt. Titus

24 transfer to Zurich

1. Is it possible to do Titus or Pilatus on the first day we land on way to Interlaken

2. If so could we skip the last 2 days of staying there before we fly out and add in montreax at some point ? Which is more enjoyable ?

3. Sounds like golden pass is prettiest last leg to Montreaux …

3. Pls suggest excursion 2/18 as 2/19 we are going to Schilthorn

How does this itenerary look? Would you change anything around ?

Thank you !!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2019 at 21:44:32 #902505

Keep your itinerary as it is.

Trying to squeeze in Titlis or Pilatus after a long(?) flight is not a good idea IMHO.

Going to Montreux from St Moritz doesn’t make much sense.

If you really want to go to Montreux do it on the way to Zermatt from Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 22:21:04 #902506

Yes, I agree on the excursion after flying

I was thinking of squeezing montreaux in as you suggested

does this make sense?

D1-golden pass to interlaken

D2-Jungfrau / grindelwald

D3-interlaken – Montreux – zermatt

zermatt 2 days

D5-glacier express to St Moritz or Chur?

D6-Bernita express – lugano

D7-Gotthard panorama train to Lucerne

D8- to Zurich airport depart 1:30 pm

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 22:23:00 #902507

Or skip the Gotthard panorama express and do Titus or Pilatus in luzern instead …? During that second to the last day ..

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2019 at 23:21:42 #902508

Personal choice.

You could even get a fast train (via Gotthard Base Tunnel) to Luzern from Lugano directly after BEX and give yourself 2 nights in Lucerne. Do Pilatus or Titlis and cruise to Flüelen with train return (or vice versa).

Would make Day 7 long, but doable.

If it was me I would enjoy a couple of nights in Lugano and catch a train from there to the airport. But I’m more of a slow traveller rather than a try-to-cram-everything-in one.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 23:55:22 #902509

Would it be a good day trip – to Pilatus or Titus from intetlakejn? I love your last idea just wondering if it’s a shame to miss Pilatus / Titlus?

REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2019 at 2:18:08 #902510

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to check out how long any trip will take. You will be up for 7 – 8 hours round trip travel time to Titlis and maybe an hour less overall for Pilatus.

Depends if Schilthorn and Zermatt satisfy your mountain scenery longings.

If you have a finite time it is a balancing act. Whatever you miss this time you can catch on your next visit. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2019 at 17:02:47 #902511

Thank you! I am driving myself crazy here and just need to make a decision! Already changing hotels twice-interlaken 2 days, zermatt 2 days now I have night booked in St moritz and then traveling to luzern makes 4 hotel switches…..Is is a shame to miss BEX? I could..

1. go straight to Luzern after GE and be there 2 nights

2. stay night ST M and then travel to lugano and stay until day of departure

3. go straight tp Lugano on BEX after Glacier express and stay there until departure

4. Stay in St M until day of departure

What would you do to cut down on hotel stays but not miss something spectacular? I just keep reading how much better GEX is over GE..Please advise! any hotel can be canceled that I have booked so far

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2019 at 17:39:31 #902512

ACTUALLY…Does it make sense to tho from Zermatt to Lugando to St M then to Lucern?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2019 at 20:26:28 #902513

What does “I just keep reading how much better GEX is over GE“ mean? You can’t “go straight to Lugano on BEX after Glacier express and stay there until departure” without an overnight stop in St Moritz or Chur. Also note the operating times for the BEX Bus Tirano to Lugano is 21.02.2019 – 21.04.2019 from Thursday to Sunday only.

You are trying to cover an awful lot of territory in your limited time.

If it was me I would take the GEX to Chur and head to Luzern direct from there. Forget the BEX on this trip unless you don’t mind spending a lot of time on trains.

Probably too late as you have already made booking but a more logical program might have been Luzern – Interlaken – Zermatt. Then GEX to Chur and on to Zurich.

Don’t forget you need seat reservations on GEX and BEX.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2019 at 21:17:56 #902514

Your options:

1. go straight to Luzern after GE and be there 2 nights

Assuming GE means GEX to St Moritz that is a 12 hour train ride. 8 if you depart GEX at Chur.

2. stay night ST M and then travel to lugano and stay until day of departure

Possible.

3. go straight tp Lugano on BEX after Glacier express and stay there until departure

Not possible without overnight at St Moritz or Chur

4. Stay in St M until day of departure

Possible if you like the idea of staying in another high priced ski resort.

5. ACTUALLY…Does it make sense to tho from Zermatt to Lugando to St M then to Lucern?

You mean skip the GEX and go to Lugano via Domodossola? Or part GEX to Andermatt then to Lugano? Then overnight in Lugano then St Moritz? Even more stops involved.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2019 at 21:33:34 #902515

Thinking just skip Luzern and stay in Lugano until departure date… so I could go zermatt to Lugano then go fast train or via BEX to Zurich since flight is 1:30 pm

trting yo have only 3 hotels , not 4!

does that work ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2019 at 21:40:57 #902516

How do you plan to get to Lugano in this latest plan?

Is your goal to minimise hotel changes or maximise things you see and do?

if you stay in Lugano to flight day your only option is fast train to Zurich.

Have you consulted the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to figure out how long your various journeys take? Eg the BEX Lugano to Zurich is 10 hours 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2019 at 23:03:33 #902517

Looks like train from zermatt to Lugano – not GE with some Stops

doth 3 days in Lugano we can so the BE bus or bus a day train as a day trio

yes then fast train to Zurich airport

goal is to minimize hotel changes w my 2 teens – only thing I’d be missing is luzern and GE but adding Lugano and part of BEX… I just think Lugano looks more chill then Luzern

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2019 at 23:19:31 #902518

Actually the hotel I booked was not in St M but in Zuoz – hotel Castell – could possibly extend trip there until we leave and do BEX from there one day ..

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 January 2019 at 2:24:13 #902519

I don’t understand what “doth 3 days in Lugano we can so the BE bus or bus a day train as a day trio” means. You certainly can’t do the full Bernina Express route as a day trip from Lugano. Doing the BEX bus from Lugano to Tirano and back would be a waste of a day. The only other way back from Tirano is an Italian train via Milan! You can’t really “do the BEX” from Zuoz although you can use the BEX from Lugano to reach Zuoz.

Have you had a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere to understand how the BEX actually works?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 12:42:00 #902520

Sorry for the misspelled words – typing on my phone .. ok so Judy trying to decide between luzern and Lugano – you prefer Lugano ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 January 2019 at 19:52:17 #902521

In winter I think Inwould lean to Luzern. Lugano brings to mind warm summer evenings by the lake. They certainly do great pizzas!

But in the end it’s your choice.

Compare http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano/activities and http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities.

• The thread ‘February itinerary Interlaken, Zermatt, St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.