Advice on Kandersteg to Oeschinen Lake hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 17:24:36 #815608

Hello,

I am interested in going on a hike to Oeschinen Lake from Kandersteg in mid September.

I will be travelling from Laueterbrunnen by train to Kandersteg.

As I understand from what I have read on line, I need to take a gondola ride to the starting point of the trail. Could you please let me know whether the trail is marked from the gondola station on- wards and the average duration of the hike when walking at a moderate pace?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 17:44:32 #883581

Hi, sorry. I have made a mistake when posting the above question. I am considering hiking back to Kandersteg from Oeschinen Lake. The gondola ride to Oeschinen Lake is pretty straightforward and takes about half an hour according to what I have read.

One of the hikes I am looking into is Oeschinen Lake – Kandersteg via Ober Bergli. Could you please share some details about this hike?

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 7:59:45 #883582

Hi Traveller3,

I don’t have any details about the hike you’re mentioning. We do have information on our website about other hikes in the Kander Valley: http://www.myswissalps.com/ka ndervalley/activities.

Arno
    15481 posts
    8 May 2018 at 13:53:01 #883583

I haven’t done that hike either, but from the hiking map it looks like a pretty strenuous hike with wonderful views. It’s a 300 meter ascent, then an 800 meter descent down to Kandersteg. You will need hiking shoes and I’d use a pole too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 16:14:50 #883584

Hi Arno,

Thanks for looking it up on the map. I have been trying to find out whether there is a shorter, less strenuous route back to Kandersteg. I haven’t been able to find it yet. Thought I will ask the tourist office once I get to Kandersteg. I think the hike which you have mentioned is what I came across on the below link:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/routes/rou te-0334.html

It says the hike takes about 3 h 35 min.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 21:16:21 #883585

Hello Traveller3

I have been trying to remember an excursion we made some years ago involving walking down to Kandersteg which was quite an easy trail – it must have been if I did it as I am no hiker!. Looking at the map you linked to I think we took the gondola ride then the easy walk to the lake, then had lunch and a wander round the carving trail before doing just the last bit of the featured hike from the lake following the river down to Kandersteg. Does that help?

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 15:04:38 #883586

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your message.

I wrote to the tourist office at Kandersteg yesterday to inquire some more into this and they very promptly replied and said that there is indeed a shorter and direct route back to Kandersteg from the lake, which would take about 1.5 hours, which suits me very well. I think what you have mentioned above may be that particular walk. They told me that there will be route markers and to follow the markers pointing in the direction of “Kandersteg”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 17:55:35 #883587

Yes that does sound like the one we did as we would certainly have followed signs to Kandersteg and the time sounds about right too. I took some photographs from a bridge across the river, looking upstream and downstream, I seem to recall. Hope you find and enjoy it!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 0:21:41 #883588

Thanks Maggie. I’m glad to find out that someone else has gone on that particular route. Was not too keen on doing a strenous hike.

This will be the second time I’ll be visiting Switzerland and I can’t wait for September!

• The thread ‘Advice on Kandersteg to Oeschinen Lake hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.