Rail pass for Switzerland itinerary in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 11:36:55 #820594

Hi all, first of all, I would like to say I’m glad I found this wonderful forum that is rich with information. Thank you to all the moderators that provide so much help 🙂

I will be travelling to Europe for the first time this May 2019.

I have done some research and reading but the information has really been quite overwhelming. Therefore, I would very much appreciate it if I can get some help here.

My itinerary is looking like this at the moment (sorry if it’s a bit long):

16/05/19 Paris (Gare de Lyon) -> Zurich (Zurich HB Station) Dep 06:23PM Arrive 10:26PM

As I am arriving quite late, I decided to stay overnight at a hotel near Zurich HB Station.

17/05/19 Depart Zurich HB Stn 10.04AM Arrive Luzern Stn 10.40AM

Have lunch near Luzern Station

Depart Luzern -> Vitznau (boat 1.12PM-2.09PM)

Vitznau -> Rigi Kaltbad-First (cograil 2.15PM-2.33PM)

Staying overnight at Rigi Kaltbad hotel, either continue on to Rigi Kulm (cogwheel 17mins) or travel to Rigi Kulm next morning.

18/05/19 (10.40AM – 11.47AM)

Depart Rigi-Kaltbad First -> Weggis(10mins cable car) -> walk 15mins to pier -> 30mins boat to Luzern

Check in at Luzern hotel – explore Old Town, Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument

19/05/19: Depending on weather, either Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip or Mt Titlis

Mt Pilatus:

Way up: Pier 2 Lake Lucerne – Alpnachstad (1 hr boat) – Pilatus summit (40mins cogwheel train)

Way down: Pilatus summit – Frakmuntegg toboggan run (aerial cableway 3.5 mins Dragon ride) – Panorama gondola to Kriens (30mins) – bus to Lucerne

20/05/19 Depart Luzern -> Interlaken -> Lauterbrunnen (10.06AM-12.25PM)

Check in to hotel – lunch, explore village and waterfalls

21/05/19 Half day trip to Mt Schilthorn (52mins from Lauterbrunnen)

Lauterbrunnen – Grutschalp (Cable car 5mins) – Murren (mountain train 15mins) – 10mins walk to cable car station – Birg (cable car 10mins) – Schilthorn (cable car 10mins)

Grindelwald First for Adventure activities if there is time (30mins from Lauterbrunnen) otherwise might do it on 23/05/19

22/05/19 Depart Lauterbrunnen -> Kleine Scheidegg (9:07AM-09:49AM) -> Jungfraujoch (10.30AM-11.05AM)

Alpine sensation – Ice Palace – Jungfrau Panorama – Lindt Swiss Choc Heaven – Sphinx Observation Deck – Omega Golf Experience

Jungfraujoch -> Grindelwald (4.13PM-5.32PM)

Check in at hotel in Grindelwald

23/05/19 Depart Grindelwald -> Milan (12.49PM-4.37PM)

Note: Husband has some health issues so sadly we won’t be doing any hiking.

Based on the above, using the Rail Pass calculation spreadsheet from this forum, I think the Swiss Half Fare Card will work out better for me instead of the Swiss Travel Pass 8 days.

Please let me know if this sounds right? Also, any suggestions and tips would be great =)

Thank you all!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 12:18:33 #907554

I worked out a detailed itinerary for my trip and the Swiss Half Fare Card was a little cheaper than the Swiss Travel Pass for our trip. But the Swiss travel pass means you don’t have to buy tickets except for cable cars etc that have reduced rather than free travel.

For us, this was a huge advantage so we opted for the travel pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 11:23:18 #907555

Hi Annt,

I see you have done your planning in great detail, I’m impressed!

To find interesting and helpful details about your destinations, type them into the search bar of this page.

Additionally please look into the following two links for your arrival and departure via France resp. Italy:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Get back to us anytime for further support.

Happy planning.

Best.
    Steph

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Switzerland itinerary in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.