Scenic rail routes Interlaken, Zermatt, Lucerne

Scenic rail routes Interlaken, Zermatt, Lucerne

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 10, 2017 - 5:22 AM

Hello

I am travelling in Switzerland with my wife during July intending to travel by rail between planned destinations. The outline itinerary is below; my question is whether experts in the region would advise travelling by scenic train on the routes between destinations or whether we could get as much enjoyment out of travelling on 'normal' trains along the routes? Also, whether there are normal trains travelling on exactly the same routes as the scenic trains; and apart from the panoramic windows/roofs what would be the difference. Many thanks.

Itinerary:

Arrive Geneva by air and travel Geneva to Interlaken (afternoon train) stay 4 nights in Interlaken

Travel Interlaken to Zermatt (daytime) stay 3 nights in Zermatt

Travel Zermatt to Lucerne (daytime) stay 2 nights in Lucerne.

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
May 10, 2017 - 3:18 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi Herakles8,

The only full scenic route with a panoramic train would be between Montreux and Interlaken (after leaving Geneva). I would recommend the panoramic trains on this route for sure - The Golden Pass. Reservations aren't needed (though perhaps recommended between Montreux and Zweisimmen - there are train changes as there isn't a direct train).

Traveling to Zermatt from Interlaken and then to Lucerne you would only be on a panoramic train (Glacier Express) to/from Visp and Zermatt (which isn't far). So in this case I would just take a normal train - the route is exactly the same and as you noted the only difference is the larger windows.... and better food service as well. :)

Lucas

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 10, 2017 - 4:25 PM in reply to Lucas

That is really helpful Lucas and very much appreciated. We will obviously be using the trains and mountain transport during our stay in the various locations as well so are sure to cover much of the scenic routes during our visit.

Thanks again.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018