Scenic rail routes Interlaken, Zermatt, Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 5:22:32 #811759

Hello

I am travelling in Switzerland with my wife during July intending to travel by rail between planned destinations. The outline itinerary is below; my question is whether experts in the region would advise travelling by scenic train on the routes between destinations or whether we could get as much enjoyment out of travelling on ‘normal’ trains along the routes? Also, whether there are normal trains travelling on exactly the same routes as the scenic trains; and apart from the panoramic windows/roofs what would be the difference. Many thanks.

Itinerary:

Arrive Geneva by air and travel Geneva to Interlaken (afternoon train) stay 4 nights in Interlaken

Travel Interlaken to Zermatt (daytime) stay 3 nights in Zermatt

Travel Zermatt to Lucerne (daytime) stay 2 nights in Lucerne.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 15:18:52 #863089

Hi Herakles8,

The only full scenic route with a panoramic train would be between Montreux and Interlaken (after leaving Geneva). I would recommend the panoramic trains on this route for sure – The Golden Pass. Reservations aren’t needed (though perhaps recommended between Montreux and Zweisimmen – there are train changes as there isn’t a direct train).

Traveling to Zermatt from Interlaken and then to Lucerne you would only be on a panoramic train (Glacier Express) to/from Visp and Zermatt (which isn’t far). So in this case I would just take a normal train – the route is exactly the same and as you noted the only difference is the larger windows…. and better food service as well. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 16:25:45 #863090

That is really helpful Lucas and very much appreciated. We will obviously be using the trains and mountain transport during our stay in the various locations as well so are sure to cover much of the scenic routes during our visit.

Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Scenic rail routes Interlaken, Zermatt, Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.