Advice on tickets from Geneva to Zermatt

• RachRiley
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 October 2022 at 20:53:06 #828485

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anywhere I can go for advice regarding the best tickets to get for our trip in December?

We are travelling from Geneva to Zermatt (2 adults, 3 year old and 1 year old).

We would like to get to Zermatt by train but I’m so confused about all the different passes and which will be the best for us financially. Aside from the return train to Zermatt we may do one trip to Sunnegga and possibly the Gornergrat once but other than that will be staying put in Zermatt.

I think that possibly the Swiss Half Fare Card is our only option but I can’t tell whether it will be worth it or not with only one or two journeys.

Is there a tourist travel office or anywhere who could help?!

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2022 at 22:52:15 #947664

Yes, it all depends on the calculations which you will need to make.

The cheapest way Geneva – Zermatt if you buy as early as possible could be a supersaver ticket (subject to availability) or the Saver day pass.

A Swiss half fare card has a purchase cost so you have to decide if buying that plus getting half fare tickets is cheaper than not buying and getting full price tickets for Gornergrat and Sunnegga

There are lots of ‘how to’ and ‘best way to’ resources elsewhere on this web site

Anna
    6362 posts
    7 October 2022 at 7:16:09 #947665

Hi RachRiley,

I agree with 1960man. Based on your plans, the cheapest option would be to get Supersaver tickets from Geneva to Zermatt and return. Supersaver tickets are basically standard point-to-point tickets, which are discounted when you purchase them early. You can find more information about Supersaver tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland. Supersaver tickets have restrictions. If you want more flexibility, consider getting a Saver Day Pass. This can also be purchased at a discount when you buy early. More details about the Saver Day Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass

Children from 0 – 5 years old travel free on Swiss public transport, so you only need tickets for the 2 adults in your group

Since you are staying in Zermatt, you might want to check out the Zermatt Peak Pass which provides some discounts on local mountain excursions. More details are available at the Zermatt Tourist Information Centre located at the Zermatt train station.

You can find practical tips and info about how to choose the best rail pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Advice on tickets from Geneva to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.