Advice on Which Pass to Purchase

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 1:05:20 #807310

Hello!

My husband and I will bed traveling to Switzerland on June 17 and we’re struggling on whether to purchase the Swiss Flex Pass or the Half Fare Card. We’ll be traveling by train almost daily and would like to go on several cable car rides as we’re able to. Below is our itinerary. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Day 1: Zurich to Lausanne (we’d like to stop in Bern along the way) and stay in Lausanne

Day 2: explore Lausanne and Lutry and stay in Lausanne

Day 3: Lausanne to Geneva and stay in geneva

Day 4: Geneva to Montraux and gruyeres (possible train ride to zermatt that night)

Day 5: explore zermatt and then train ride to murren

Day 6 and 7: explore murren and possibly Interlaken

Day 8: murren to Lucerne

Day 9: explore Lucerne and possibly the lake and mountains

Day 10: Lucerne to Zurich

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 May 2015 at 6:45:09 #843510

Hi kmassenzo,

Welcome and thanks for posting! I would recommend to consider the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card. A 15 day pass may feel like a waste because you’re not using the last 5 days, but actually separate regular tickets for your day 1 and 10 cost CHF 106 per person, and the difference between and 8 and 15 day pass is less than that. A Swiss Travel Pass Flex works out too expensive in most cases. You’d have to do the math to be sure.

Please see the pass pages I linked to for an explanation about the passes, points of sale, and promotions. I noticed you live in the US, so if you order before June 3 you can save $10. Please see raileurope.com/promoti ons/coupon-code-sale-spring-2015.html.

As for your itinerary: I feel that you move around too much. It’s doable and no problem if you like traveling, but there’s a risk in that: you loose sightseeing time checking in and out of hotels and traveling to a different town. Also, peak visits are weather dependent, so if you only stay one or two nights in a town, there’s no much opportunity to move your day trip to another day. I would at least skip the Geneva stay.

• The thread ‘Advice on Which Pass to Purchase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.