Advice for 4 days in Interlaken next June

• theshas129
    Participant
    10 posts
    11 January 2019 at 7:15:52 #819440

Hello, this is my first post. I would like some advice about an itinerary I have come up with for my family of 4 (2 adults 2 children aged 14 and 12) after researching for some time. I have already booked the flights and hotel. I will be staying in Interlaken and flying into Zurich and leaving at Geneva. Below is what I have come up with it and I hope I can get some advice and I also have a few questions. By the way, this trip is happening in June 2019.

| Day 1 |

• Arriving at Zurich in the morning at around 10 am.
    • I have heard there is not much to do there but am interested in maybe quickly going to the FIFA World Cup Museum. If there is more/better stuff to do in Interlaken or the Jungfrau region then I am happy to leave earlier straight from the airport if it is better.
    • From Zurich to Interlaken via Lucerne or Bern (I don’t know which one yet).
    • Check in anytime between 2 pm and 11 pm.
    • The rest of the day I can do whatever there is to do in Interlaken or the Jungfrau region other than the ones I have planned for the following days. I was thinking maybe Harder Kulm and St Beatus Caves.

| Day 2 |

• Leaving early to go to Jungfraujoch since I heard there are fewer people, better weather and is cheaper to go early.
    • I wanted to go spend some time in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald on the way up to Jungfraujoch but that would take away the positives about leaving early.
    • Spend a few hours on top Jungfraujoch
    • Come back down the other route so either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. Coming down I should have more time so I was planning maybe to fit in Grindelwald First because the cliff walk sounds fun.
    • Then come back to Interlaken and if there somehow is time left then maybe a cruise on Lake Brienz or Thun?

As you can see I am unsure about the Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald on the way up. I want to go to the Staubach Falls and Trummlebach Falls as well in Lauterbrunnen but I also want to get up to Jungfraujoch earlier so I’m unsure and would greatly appreciate help in this area.

| Day 3 |

• Going to Lucerne via Goldenpass Line. (Day trip to Lucerne)
    • At Lucerne, we will start with completing the Golden Round Trip (http://www.pilatus.ch/en/disc over/golden-round-trip/).
    • Then we plan on seeing the Lion Monument as that seems like a popular place.
    • With the time left, I have read about a place where I can make swiss army knives and a plane museum.
    • Then return to Interlaken to spend the rest of the day if there is any time left and to sleep (last night).

| Day 4 |

• Check out of the hotel in the morning and leave to Geneva via Montreux (Don’t plan on spending time there as we have to carry luggage at Geneva we plan on finding somewhere to store our luggage for the day).
    • The rest of the day we will explore and do stuff in and around (should be close) Geneva until our flight which is at night.

Questions:

• What rail pass should I get for this (I was thinking the Swiss Travel Pass but Jungfraujoch trip doesn’t give much of a discount so I am researching prices and stuff to find which one will be cheaper but if anyone here can provide some info I would appreciate it).
    • Help to fix Day 3 as I have already explained.
    • What should I do in Geneva and Zurich?
    • Any other suggestions/advice.

I apologise for this long post but any help will be greatly appreciated and I really do not expect all my questions to be answered but some would be nice. In the meantime, I will continue my research as I really look forward to this trip and I want to make sure it is done right.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 January 2019 at 7:31:22 #901907

Hello

theshas129, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Lion Monument is a stone sculpture, by a Danish sculptor if I am not wrong, in memory of Swiss merceneries who died protecting the King of France during the 1789 revolution. Yes, it seems to be a popular place. i wonder why. A popular placee is a place surrounded by tourists taking selfies.

You can put your luggage in storage at all large railway stations, including Geneva Main Station or Geneva Airport.. However, the FIFA museum is not close to Zurich Main Station, so unless you are very keen on football (soccer) you may end up thinking it was not worthwhile.

The “plane museum” you mention is the Verkehrshaus (Transport Museum). Indeed an interesting place, with rare old airplanes in display, but also other types of vehicles. I have never heard of a Make-your-own-Swiss-Knife facility, but who knows. I think you can make chocolate at Jungfraujoch…

In Geneva enjoy the lakeshore landscape, and depending on your taste, visit Carouge (a flavor of Greenwwich Village in Geneva), the Old Town with the Cathedral where John Calvin used to preach, or the International Red Cross Museum.

theshas129
    Participant
    10 posts
    11 January 2019 at 7:57:55 #901908

thank you for the information. also, this is what I was talking about when I talked about the make your own swiss army knife place: http://www.victorinox.com/glo bal/en/Victorinox/Visi t-Us/Swiss-Knife-Valley-VISITOR-CENTER-Switzerland/cms/visito r-center

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 January 2019 at 8:41:33 #901909

Thanks, I didn’t know about it. If you leave the country by air, make sure your knives are in your checked-in luggage, not in your cabin bag or your pockets!

theshas129
    Participant
    10 posts
    11 January 2019 at 8:42:44 #901910

noted. thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 10:27:40 #901911

Hi theshas129,

theshas129
    Participant
    10 posts
    11 January 2019 at 11:40:59 #901912

thank you very much.

so should leave with the first two trains up Jungfraujoch via Grindelwald?

also is Zurich worth spending some time in or should we just go straight to Interlaken?

another question: will I be able to fit in Grindelwald or Schilthorn in the same day or one of my other days? if so, which mountain is better, Grindelwald or Schilthorn?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 January 2019 at 12:20:22 #901913

Grindelwald is a village (small town), Schilthorn is a mountain peak.

In Grindelwald, you can stroll, go shopping, eat in one of many restaurants, look at mountains from below. On Schilthorn, you can mainly see mountains all around you from an elevated vantage point, eat in the only (I think) restaurant. Depending on the season, you could ski or hike down, but not with your small kids.

Going to the Jungfraujoch with an early train is an excellent idea.

theshas129
    Participant
    10 posts
    11 January 2019 at 12:34:58 #901914

oh sorry, I meant Grindelwald First when I said Grindelwald. since I’ll be going via Grindelwald on the way up, should I spend some time exploring the town? thanks anyway for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 January 2019 at 12:47:05 #901915

First (pronounce feerst, it is the name of a mountain in German, nothing to do with “No 1”) is reached by gondola cable car from Grindelwald. The start station is about 20 min. walk from the train station. The town itself has nothing special (in my view). The top station of the gondolas is not really a mountain top, you have view towards the south, the view north, say towards Lake Brienz, is blocked by higher mountains. Still, the view from First is beautiful.There are some attractions (Glider, Cliff Walk, etc. see here: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/ ) but for that you should probably wait till your kids are bigger…

In Schilthorn, you can enjoy a 360° scenery.

theshas129
    Participant
    10 posts
    11 January 2019 at 12:55:00 #901916

Thank you a lot for that. I heard the entire restaurant rotates, plus it is included in the Swiss travel pass. We might go through with that and since it seems First doesn’t take as much time, we might be able to fit it in after everything else. I don’t really need this but do you think I should do anything instead of Schilthorn? As in, is there anything better I may be missing out on that I would be better off doing because I am already going on another mountain? But thank you a lot for all the information you have already given us.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 16:37:39 #901917

Be sure to use the timetable link I gave you to see if you can fit multiple trips into one day. What one person is comfortable doing in one day, another may not.

Even what is technically possible may not be much fun (IE trying to do too much).

Hard to say if you’d enjoy another activity instead of Schilthorn – a lot of options to choose from and everyone is different as to what they like.

But if you find yourself satisfied with mountain trips after Jungfraujoch and/or First there are other options in the Jungfrau region for you to consider: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s – boat trips are always a good idea: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun

theshas129
    Participant
    10 posts
    12 January 2019 at 0:37:35 #901918

Thanks again. I think this may be all I need and I think my itinerary is good now. I will ask my family what they will want to do so we are not doing something we may not like as much as other activities. If there are any other things I should know about our itinerary then I would appreciate it. Other than that thank you for everything you have told me so far.

• The thread ‘Advice for 4 days in Interlaken next June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.