Clothing and shoes for easy hiking and snow parks

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 17:46:40 #811581

Hi ,

We would be visiting Switzerland between 19-30 may 2017,with our 12 year old son. We are planning to do some easy hiking around Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen along with Mt.Titlis and Jungfraujoch. Our son would be interested in the Snow parks and games in both these regions and we also plan on visiting Grindelwald first.

We come from a tropical country and this would be our first snow experience.

1.Could you please advise us on the recommended attire,shoes ,gloves etc for the mountain tops and hiking.

2.If we are unable to procure the recommended gear in our part of the country , is there someplace we could buy the same on arrival in Switzerland or probably order online to be delivered to our hotel in Switzerland .

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 5:39:50 #862362

Hi Shilotam,

Yes, buying warm clothes in Switzerland won’t be a problem. I am crossing my fingers for a nice May here- at least in the lower altitudes and towns.
    Zurich and Luzern are about 0 degrees today and it is about -14 at Mt. Titlis and Jungfraujoch.

If you are heading into the snow park and/or doing a little hiking up on Mt. Titlis or Jungfraujoch I would have some waterproof boots or hiking shoes and jacket at least.

I think nice sweaters, toques, gloves and maybe a scarf. You can wait until you get here to buy something like thermal long underwear once you’ve seen the weather forecast and you know how long you’ll be up in the mountains.

If you layer nicely you can use a light waterproof jacket and boots/shoes when in the towns where the weather may be from 10 up to low 20s by late May but rainy and the it’s still around zero or below up in the mountains.

Some stores to look at in Luzern:

1. Ochsner Sport
    2. Transa Travel & Outdoor
    3. Coop City (groceries but also some cheaper clothing options)
    4. Mammut (high quality, more expensive winter clothes and boots)
    5. Dosenbach Schuhe und Sport

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have more questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 7:06:43 #862363

Thanks Lucas for your suggestions. It is really helpful. We will enter Switzerland through St. Moritz from Rome (via Venice and Milan) and finish our 12 day tour in Lucerne (from 3 – 14 July). We are couple with 3 kids below 8yrs old. Can we get similar stores in St. Moritz or Rome/Venice/Milan?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 9:01:46 #862364

Thanks Lucas for the detailed and informative response. You have been most helpful.

regards

Shilpa

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 9:02:22 #862365

>> We will enter Switzerland through St. Moritz … Can we get similar stores in St. Moritz

The main problem with buying clothing at your destination is that it can take a lot of time away from sightseeing. The chances of walking into a shop and finding everything you need all at once are fairly slim. You will probably end up traipsing from store to store looking for the right style, size or price, and wasting one or more days doing so!

Nevertheless, you could try the Coop Store Bellevue in St Moritz, or Angerer Sport in St Moritz.

I haven’t been into the Coop Store Bellevue St Moritz, but I have been past it frequently in the bus, and noticed they had winter clothing and luggage in the window. That was in early October last year. July is the summer season though, so I don’t know whether they will still have any winter clothing for sale.

Another store in St Moritz you could try is Angerer Sport. I haven’t been in there either, but they are part of the Intersport group, which is one of the big names in Switzerland for winter sportswear and equipment.

The town buses in St Moritz run complicated routes that are hard to describe, but if you get Bus #3 from St Moritz Railway station, it will go to both bus stops noted below, i.e. Via Salet and Klinik Gut. Stops are announced on the bus, and there is also a visual display, so it’s easy to know when to get off.

Coop Supermarket St Moritz Bellevue

Via dal Bagn 20, St Moritz

Bus #3 from St Moritz Railway Station to the stop “St Moritz Bad, Via Salet”

Opening hours:

08:00 to 19:00 Monday to Thursday

08:00 to 20:00 Friday

08:00 to 18:00 Saturday

Closed Sunday

Angerer Sport

Via Maistra 2

St Moritz

Bus #3 from St Moritz Railway Station to the stop “St Moritz, Klinik Gut”

Opening hours:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 09:00 to 12:30, 14:00 to 18:30 (i.e. closed between 12:30 and 14:00)

Saturday 09:00 to 17:00

Closed Wednesday, Sunday

I suggest you look up the addresses in Google Maps, find the relevant bus stops (which are marked on Google Maps), and have a look at the stores in Google Street View, so you know what you are looking for when you get there. That will hopefully save you some time.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Clothing and shoes for easy hiking and snow parks’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.