Advise on itinerary due to marathon in Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2020 at 20:29:39 #825048

Hi, My hubby & I are planning a 12 night trip (9/5 – 9/18) to Switzerland in September. I’m beginning to plan out our itinerary and noticed that the Jungfrau Marathon will be held during the times we were planning on being in Wengen. Should I rearrange my itinerary?

Leave NY on 9/5

9/6 – 9/8 arrive in Zurich, take train to Luzern, spend 3 nights here

9/9 – 9/13 – Wengen

9/14 – 9/16 – Montreux

9/17 – Zurich

9/18 – Fly home

Thank you,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 January 2020 at 22:01:50 #929061

No, it should be fun to watch as long as you have your accommodation secured well in advance.

GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    30 January 2020 at 23:05:51 #929062

Hi Navy Mom,

Our group is also from NY. Going 12 days. We arrive the day you leave from JFK. I wished I booked a couple more nights to fit everything in we wanted. Still deciding on where we are staying(See my new post). Good luck planning…

Anna
    6382 posts
    31 January 2020 at 8:44:52 #929063

Hi Navymom,

Agree with rockoyster. If you have secured your accommodation, I wouldn’t worry so much.

http://www.myswissalps.com/wengen/hotels

I was at the Jungfrau Marathon last year as a spectator (well, I came to support my husband who was a participant). There was certainly a bigger crowd than usual but nothing too disruptive. If you have plans to go up the Jungfraujoch, do it very early in the morning because as the first runners start coming through Wengen at 11am, the trains to Kleine Scheidegg may get really crowded.

Other than that, the Jungfrau Marathon was a great experience even from a spectator’s point of view : ) Wengen is usually quiet but on race day it comes alive with live bands and street stalls. But it’s pretty much over once the race is finished by 2pm.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2020 at 14:09:55 #929064

Thank you Rockoyster & Anna! I’ve booked the Sunstar Hotel in Wengen. Once we get closer to Sept I’ll decide if we will stay in the Wengen area that day or go someplace the race is not going, maybe Grindelwald First & the Glacier Canyon.

• The thread ‘Advise on itinerary due to marathon in Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.