Advise on Swiss Travel Pass – when to buy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 17:34:20 #811580

Hi,

I have received a lot of valuable advise on your forum which has greatly helped me in planning my trip.

We are a family of 3 with our son being 12 years old. We would be visiting Switzerland between 19- 30 th may .I request your valuable advise on the following points:

1.We were planning on buying the Swiss travel pass for 15 days with the family card . Would it be advisable to buy the same right now or could i wait closer to the date of travel ?

2.Would it be convenient to buy the mountain excursion passes for Mt.Titlis and Jungfraujoch once we are in Switzerland ?

3.We would be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 3 nights . Does it make sense to opt for the additional 3 day Bernese oberland pass?

Thanks .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 April 2017 at 18:42:12 #862356

Hi shilotam,

I’m glad to hear the forum has been helpful! Let’s try to provide some more help 😉

1. You could wait a bit to see if promotions happen to become available. There aren’t any now, you can check here for updates. But in any case I’d buy the pass online and print it at home as that’s the most convenient way to obtain it. You’ll find the Swiss railways webshop through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so do take that timeframe into account. Other purchase options are listed here.

2. You can buy them online or once in Switzerland, whichever option you like most. Do make sure you don’t buy for a fixed date as these trips are weather dependent. If you buy tickets via the webshop I just mentioned you will get flexible tickets, even though they ask for a date (that’s just the first date you could use it). This particular website does sell Titlis tickets but no Jungfraujoch tickets.

3. In most cases, no. You would need to travel a lot to reach the break even point for two passes, even though Swiss Travel Pass holders do get a 25% discount on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. I’d recommend to have a good look at the Swiss Travel Pass map to see what it covers (do zoom into the region!). You can even do the math to make sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 9:09:56 #862357

Thanks Arno for the prompt clarifications.

regards

Shilpa

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    28 April 2017 at 13:31:52 #862358

I am also waiting to purchase our Swiss Travel Passes, just in case a promotion comes up. Do I need to know my Swiss Travel Pass to make reservations on the scenic trains or can I make the reservations now without knowing my number?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 16:29:08 #862359

No need to wait for the Swiss Travel Pass Pickergal – you don’t need to prove you bought one when making reservations – as long as you have one when you are on the train! 🙂

Lucas

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    28 April 2017 at 18:24:50 #862360

Thank you so much Lucas. You are a wealth of information!

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 April 2017 at 7:07:44 #862361

Hi Pickergal,

A Swiss Travel Pass promotion just came up for you: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/swiss-travel-pass-free-day-promotion-north-america.

• The thread ‘Advise on Swiss Travel Pass – when to buy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.