Aerial cableway Murren to Stetchelberg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2012 at 17:34:39 #805256

Greetings to the Forum! I’m having problems finding info re the JULY operation of the cableway from Murren to Stetchelberg. I believe you can also[easily?] walk down to Stechelberg from Murren.However,I would like the option of using the cableway,if operating. Can “someone” help me with my querie please:-)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    15 May 2012 at 3:39:54 #836095

Hello mbear12,

Please take a look at this topic. The abbreviation for the cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren (and Schilthorn) is LSMS. Fill out Mürren LSMS-lsms and Stechelberg, Schilthornbahn and Via: Gimmelwald in the Timetable and you’ll find your connections.
    You can walk from Mürren to Stechelberg, but the height difference is about 750 m.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2012 at 4:41:35 #836096

Again in your debt…THANKYOU

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    15 May 2012 at 11:50:00 #836097

And it’s not an “easy” walk down. The portion from Murren to Gimmelwald (the shortest section of the walk) is paved, but from there down to Stechelberg is on mountain paths that are quite steep in some sections.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2012 at 19:39:18 #836098

Thanks KimSanJose…I find it VERY helpful when forum members who have experience of same/similar trips,hikes etc, that I want to do.In many cases,very “limited”info..that often doesn’t tell the whole story of what to expect, is ofen the case,when trip planning via the Internet. Together, with no previous travel within the country and not knowing anyone who has visited Switzerland,It makes planning my trip easier by using this forum.
    So,thanks to all who help me with my queries.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2012 at 20:48:42 #836099

http://www.schilthorn.ch/en/timetable-tariffs/timetable/

This link list the timetable and fares. We stayed in Gimmelwald for nearly two weeks in July 2011 and used the cable car frequently. As you probably know Gimmelwald is the first stop between Stechelberg and the Schilthorn, so you can add about 5-7 minutes to the Stechelberg departure time to determine arrival/departure in Gimmelwald. Also, we walked down from Gimmelwald with children (7 and 10) no problems, not too steep at all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2012 at 7:29:56 #836100

Hi “Levgon” Do you mind clarifying that you all walked down from Gimmelwald to Stechelberg My plan, weather etc permitting was to walk from Murren down to Strechelberg. As suggested by KimSanJose, The first section Murren to Gimmelwald is relativly easy…the next section from Gimmelwald could be more difficult…I feel reasonably confident of walking,rather than using cable car option,for this section but am not going to the Schilthorn,hence my needing you to confirm you walked down to Stechelberg from Gimmelwald….hope this is not too confusing!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2012 at 9:12:46 #836101

Hi Mbear,

There are several ways to get up to and down from Murren from the valley. From Lauterbrunnen you can take the gondola up to Grutschalp, were you can catch an old train to Murren (a very scenic ride, that I recommend doing if you will be in Murren a few days). You can catch a bus from Lauterbrunen to Stechelberg and then take the gondola up to Murren via Gimmelwald. Or you can hike up and back. All of the transportation modes run daily and fairly regularly (every 20 min – 30 min or so) and begin fairly early 6 am or so to 10-11 pm or so. So, unless you are planning to to travel very early or late, these are very convenient efficient modes of getting around. From Murren down to Stechelberg (via Gimmelwald) takes about 10 minutes via gondola. There is a gondola directly from Stechelberg to Murren, but is now only used for delivering goods for the town or when the Schilthorn gondola is out of service. Hiking from Murren to Stechelberg is pretty easy, but it will take a couple of hours. Yes the trail from Murren to Gimmelwald is paved. Once through Gimmelwald it is still a wide gravelly road (suitable for vehicle traffic) until you cross the stream (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=46.541159,7.891379&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17), then it becomes a wooded hiking trail that isn’t flat, but completely doable by any person in average shape. Here is a link to a trail map that is handed out at hotels and gondola stations. (http://www.gimmelwald.com/pics/gimmelwald/hikemap.jpg) The trail of interest is #17. This site also shows the trails, but if you click on the route on the left it has an animated icon that follows the route, pretty neat. http://www.muerren.ch/wanderplan/index_e.html

You are going to have a wonderful time. Please fell free to ask any additional questions.

Ricardo

• The thread ‘Aerial cableway Murren to Stetchelberg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.