More ideas for my 5 days in Lucerne next April?

More ideas for my 5 days in Lucerne next April?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
lucy
lucy
7 posts
Jun 7, 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hello

We are travelling to Lucerne in April next year for 6 nights. We love mountains and being outdoor and would like to include some scenic rail trips. We will have the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days.

This is my initial itinerary

Day 1 arrive Lucerne about lunch time and spend afternoon looking around Lucerne.( no travel pass this day)

Day 2 Golden Pass to Montreaux for the day and visiting the Castle there (Swiss Travel Pass)

Day 3 Mount Pilutus (Swiss Travel Pass) probably doing the round trip to include a boat ride

Day 4 Travel to The Shilthorn for the day and incorporating Brig for a walk

Day 5 Mount Rigi or Mount Tiltis ( I know one is covered by the Swiss travel pass)

Day 6 Continue to explore Lucerne

We don't mind having big days of travel each day. We want to see as much as we can. We would rather do exploring and see beautiful scenery rather than museums .

Open to options regarding the above. Obviously days may have to change around regarding the weather.

Also should we incorporate another rail trip on Day 6 and have a Swiss travel pass for 5 days rather than 4? If so based on the above , what would you suggest?

Grindelwald ? or somewhere else.

Many thanks

Lucy

Lucas
Lucas
6291 posts
expert &
Jun 8, 2018 - 12:18 PM in reply to lucy

Hi Lucy,
Mt. Rigi and Schilthorn are both fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, so I would try and do both those mountains at some point. Pilatus and Titlis are 50% off. See everything covered or not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

If you have time another scenic trip you could make is the Gotthard Panorama Express to Lugano (most of the day) or the Voralpen Express to St. Gallen if you have less time. Both are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, except mandatory reservations on the Gotthard Panorama Express.

If you are just looking for a destination to take a train to, The Lauterbrunnen valley is a nice day trip as well.

Do note there is no 5 day Swiss Travel Pass (only 3, 4,8 or 15). You could look at the 8 day as an option (it could still be cheaper than the 4 day plus regular fare tickets) or 1 or 2 Saver Day Passes (1 day only).

Last modified on Jun 8, 2018 - 12:20 PM by Lucas
TimO
TimO
10 posts
Jun 8, 2018 - 11:26 PM in reply to lucy

Hi Lucy.

Just a couple of thoughts following our early May trip to Switzerland which was amazing: We had the STP for convenience on the train and although it provided just 50% discount on some mountain trains and cable cars every trip was worth it!

if you are up for long days then you can could visit Mt Titlis on the same day as Pilatus/ lake trip. However n the 10 days we were just south of Luzern cloud was around Pilatus most days. Stanserhorn (free with STP) gives great views of the mountains and lakek (on a clear day) - see Lucas's recent post.

As Lucas mentioned, the Lauterbrunnen valley is spectacular and there are a few options there. The Lauterbrunnen-Grutschalp- Murren - Schilthorn- Birg-Murren-Grimmelwald=Stechelberg - Lauterbrunnen circuit was great. (all free on the STP). You could travel up to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen as well (free) for amazing views of the valley and for a small price continue up to Kleine Scheidegg for great close up views of the Eiger/ Monch/ Jungfrau even if you don't want to pay the additional approx. 150CHF to go up to Jungfraujoch (top of Europe).

The big hassle from Luzern is that the trains are not the quickest from Luzern to the Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen area. but the trip is well worth it. The Grindelwald valley and First are also worth seeing and could be added to Kleine Scheidegg for a very long day or second day in the area? From memory there are a couple of circuits covered elsewhere on the website

Zermatt/ Gornergrat is also amazing but a long train trip (~ 3 1/4hrs) from Luzern

We spend so much time researching our trip to Switzerland but it was so worth it. If you are open to long days and can be flexible (based on weather) you will see so much.

Tim

lucy
lucy
7 posts
Jun 9, 2018 - 12:23 AM

Hi Tim and Lucas

Thank you for your reply’s.

Switzerland looks so beautiful. I am so excited for our trip.

i think Kleine Scheidegg is shut in April when we there as well as First or the walk is. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also despite my best efforts to research ticket prices... can you please tell me how much extra we will pay with STP for cable car to Titlis. ? And once there do you have to pay for the walks ect. I know the boat train is free.

Am definately planning the Schilthorn. Thank you for your recommendation.

If we combine Pilatus and Tiltus one day. Schilthorn the next and the Golden Pass on day 3 . It leaves us another day to get the most from out 4 day STP

did you do the Golden Pass Tim?

Regards Lucy

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4551 posts
expert
Jun 9, 2018 - 12:35 AM in reply to lucy

Hi Lucy-

Kleine Scheidegg is never shut.

High trails are closed due to snow until mid June.

Slowpoke

TimO
TimO
10 posts
Jun 9, 2018 - 1:33 AM in reply to TimO

Hi Lucy,

As Slowpoke mentioned, the high trails are generally closed, even in May. At Birg in May we could do the cliff walk (well worth it) and trudge through some snow but no trails open as the upper ski slopes were still open! Down further at Murren we could hike across to Grutschalp or down to Gimmelwald but in April I am not sure. On our trip in early May it was the same at Kleine Scheidegg, First, Schilthorn, Titlis and Gornergrat - beautiful scenery and lots of snow, ski yes but no opportunity to hike high up in the mountains! A good excuse to go back late Summer/ Autumn!

The top of Pilatus was clear of snow when we went there but the cloud was hanging around so we missed out on some of the views. RIgi was also blanketed in cloud nearly all of our stay so didn't go up.

Engelberg to Titlis return on the cable cars was 46CHF after the 50 % discount.

We did not do the Golden Pass.

Tim

lucy
lucy
7 posts
Jun 15, 2018 - 9:39 PM

Hi Tim

Could we fit Lauterbrunnen and The Shilthorn in on the one day. If possible could you give me ideas and time frames. How long will we need at the Shilthorn. We will be travelling from Lucurne.

Many thanks

Lucy

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4551 posts
expert
Jun 15, 2018 - 11:13 PM in reply to lucy

Hi Lucy -<<"Could we fit Lauterbrunnen and The Shilthorn in on the one day. If

possible could you give me ideas and time frames. How long will we need

at the Shilthorn. We will be travelling from Lucurne.">>

You will have enough time to enjoy both. Here are three links that will help you:

www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/?pos=636840,158608&z=32

Play with the map.

Slowpoke

PS- The spellings are -

"Schilthorn" and "Lucerne." When you are there, you will see "Luzern."

Last modified on Jun 15, 2018 - 11:15 PM by Slowpoke
lucy
lucy
7 posts
Jun 16, 2018 - 12:18 AM

Thank you Slowpoke for your reply.

I apologise for incorrect spelling.

Regards

Lucy

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4551 posts
expert
Jun 16, 2018 - 11:36 AM in reply to lucy

You're quite welcome. Apologies not needed. It is simply that using the timetable is easier when you have the correct spelling, even though it tries to help you out.

You'll see Luzern in the German-speaking regions, and probably Lucerne in the French -speaking regions.

Slowpoke

TimO
TimO
10 posts
Jun 17, 2018 - 12:09 PM in reply to lucy

Hi Lucy,

We did the Lauterbrunnen-Grutschalp- Murren - Schilthorn- Birg-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg - Lauterbrunnen circuit can be done in around 3 1/2 to 4hrs which included 45mins at Schilthorn, 30mins at Birg (worth a stop for the cliff walk) and 45 mins walking down from Murren to Gimmelwald.

In Lauterbrunnen maybe allow a bit of time for a close up look at the Staubbach Falls (get off the bus from Stechelberg as you come into Lauterbrunnen), also a variety of cafes/ eateries along the main street.

If you are willing to have a long day - noting the 4 1/2 hrs return train trip (2 1/2 hrs by car) from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen, then you should have time to fit in a return train trip to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen for stunning views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

Another option is to continue on from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald and then take the train back to Luzern from there.

Tim

Last modified on Jun 17, 2018 - 12:13 PM by TimO

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018