More ideas for my 5 days in Lucerne next April?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 22:34:36 #816513

Hello

We are travelling to Lucerne in April next year for 6 nights. We love mountains and being outdoor and would like to include some scenic rail trips. We will have the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days.

This is my initial itinerary

Day 1 arrive Lucerne about lunch time and spend afternoon looking around Lucerne.( no travel pass this day)

Day 2 Golden Pass to Montreaux for the day and visiting the Castle there (Swiss Travel Pass)

Day 3 Mount Pilutus (Swiss Travel Pass) probably doing the round trip to include a boat ride

Day 4 Travel to The Shilthorn for the day and incorporating Brig for a walk

Day 5 Mount Rigi or Mount Tiltis ( I know one is covered by the Swiss travel pass)

Day 6 Continue to explore Lucerne

We don’t mind having big days of travel each day. We want to see as much as we can. We would rather do exploring and see beautiful scenery rather than museums .

Open to options regarding the above. Obviously days may have to change around regarding the weather.

Also should we incorporate another rail trip on Day 6 and have a Swiss travel pass for 5 days rather than 4? If so based on the above , what would you suggest?

Grindelwald ? or somewhere else.

Many thanks

Lucy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 12:18:59 #887679

Hi Lucy,
    Mt. Rigi and Schilthorn are both fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, so I would try and do both those mountains at some point. Pilatus and Titlis are 50% off. See everything covered or not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

If you have time another scenic trip you could make is the Gotthard Panorama Express to Lugano (most of the day) or the Voralpen Express to St. Gallen if you have less time. Both are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, except mandatory reservations on the Gotthard Panorama Express.

If you are just looking for a destination to take a train to, The Lauterbrunnen valley is a nice day trip as well.

Do note there is no 5 day Swiss Travel Pass (only 3, 4,8 or 15). You could look at the 8 day as an option (it could still be cheaper than the 4 day plus regular fare tickets) or 1 or 2 Saver Day Passes (1 day only).

TimO
    Participant
    20 posts
    8 June 2018 at 23:26:15 #887680

Hi Lucy.

Just a couple of thoughts following our early May trip to Switzerland which was amazing: We had the STP for convenience on the train and although it provided just 50% discount on some mountain trains and cable cars every trip was worth it!

if you are up for long days then you can could visit Mt Titlis on the same day as Pilatus/ lake trip. However n the 10 days we were just south of Luzern cloud was around Pilatus most days. Stanserhorn (free with STP) gives great views of the mountains and lakek (on a clear day) – see Lucas's recent post.

As Lucas mentioned, the Lauterbrunnen valley is spectacular and there are a few options there. The Lauterbrunnen-Grutschalp- Murren – Schilthorn- Birg-Murren-Grimmelwald=Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen circuit was great. (all free on the STP). You could travel up to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen as well (free) for amazing views of the valley and for a small price continue up to Kleine Scheidegg for great close up views of the Eiger/ Monch/ Jungfrau even if you don’t want to pay the additional approx. 150CHF to go up to Jungfraujoch (top of Europe).

The big hassle from Luzern is that the trains are not the quickest from Luzern to the Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen area. but the trip is well worth it. The Grindelwald valley and First are also worth seeing and could be added to Kleine Scheidegg for a very long day or second day in the area? From memory there are a couple of circuits covered elsewhere on the website

Zermatt/ Gornergrat is also amazing but a long train trip (~ 3 1/4hrs) from Luzern

We spend so much time researching our trip to Switzerland but it was so worth it. If you are open to long days and can be flexible (based on weather) you will see so much.

Tim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 0:23:48 #887681

Hi Tim and Lucas

Thank you for your reply’s.

Switzerland looks so beautiful. I am so excited for our trip.

i think Kleine Scheidegg is shut in April when we there as well as First or the walk is. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also despite my best efforts to research ticket prices… can you please tell me how much extra we will pay with STP for cable car to Titlis. ? And once there do you have to pay for the walks ect. I know the boat train is free.

Am definately planning the Schilthorn. Thank you for your recommendation.

If we combine Pilatus and Tiltus one day. Schilthorn the next and the Golden Pass on day 3 . It leaves us another day to get the most from out 4 day STP

did you do the Golden Pass Tim?

Regards Lucy

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 June 2018 at 0:35:24 #887682

Hi Lucy-

Kleine Scheidegg is never shut.

High trails are closed due to snow until mid June.

Slowpoke

TimO
    Participant
    20 posts
    9 June 2018 at 1:33:01 #887683

Hi Lucy,

As Slowpoke mentioned, the high trails are generally closed, even in May. At Birg in May we could do the cliff walk (well worth it) and trudge through some snow but no trails open as the upper ski slopes were still open! Down further at Murren we could hike across to Grutschalp or down to Gimmelwald but in April I am not sure. On our trip in early May it was the same at Kleine Scheidegg, First, Schilthorn, Titlis and Gornergrat – beautiful scenery and lots of snow, ski yes but no opportunity to hike high up in the mountains! A good excuse to go back late Summer/ Autumn!

The top of Pilatus was clear of snow when we went there but the cloud was hanging around so we missed out on some of the views. RIgi was also blanketed in cloud nearly all of our stay so didn’t go up.

Engelberg to Titlis return on the cable cars was 46CHF after the 50 % discount.

We did not do the Golden Pass.

Tim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 21:39:11 #887684

Hi Tim

Could we fit Lauterbrunnen and The Shilthorn in on the one day. If possible could you give me ideas and time frames. How long will we need at the Shilthorn. We will be travelling from Lucurne.

Many thanks

Lucy

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2018 at 23:13:22 #887685

Hi Lucy –

<<“Could we fit Lauterbrunnen and The Shilthorn in on the one day.”>>

You will have enough time to enjoy both. Here are three links that will help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/?pos=636840,158608&z=32

Play with the map.

Slowpoke

PS- The spellings are –

“Schilthorn” and “Lucerne.” When you are there, you will see “Luzern.”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 0:18:30 #887686

Thank you Slowpoke for your reply.

I apologise for incorrect spelling.

Regards

Lucy

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2018 at 11:36:55 #887687

You’re quite welcome. Apologies not needed. It is simply that using the timetable is easier when you have the correct spelling, even though it tries to help you out.

You’ll see Luzern in the German-speaking regions, and probably Lucerne in the French -speaking regions.

Slowpoke

TimO
    Participant
    20 posts
    17 June 2018 at 12:09:13 #887688

Hi Lucy,

We did the Lauterbrunnen-Grutschalp- Murren – Schilthorn- Birg-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen circuit can be done in around 3 1/2 to 4hrs which included 45mins at Schilthorn, 30mins at Birg (worth a stop for the cliff walk) and 45 mins walking down from Murren to Gimmelwald.

In Lauterbrunnen maybe allow a bit of time for a close up look at the Staubbach Falls (get off the bus from Stechelberg as you come into Lauterbrunnen), also a variety of cafes/ eateries along the main street.

If you are willing to have a long day – noting the 4 1/2 hrs return train trip (2 1/2 hrs by car) from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen, then you should have time to fit in a return train trip to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen for stunning views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

Another option is to continue on from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald and then take the train back to Luzern from there.

Tim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 7:11:42 #887689

Thanks heaps for that Tim . It is a great help. Still trying to sort out if we will purchase the STP or the half fare card. And working out the timetable. I am so hoping for clear weather for our mountain adventure. Is it easy to navigate the above itinerary.

Lucy from NSW Australia

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 June 2018 at 8:07:33 #887690

G’Day Lucy –

<<“Is it easy to navigate the above itinerary.”>>

I hope that was a question, because I’m going to answer it.

The answer is “yes.”

Here are the concerns-

Day 4 is very long. It is easy to navigate. And, once you are there, if the weather is good, there is a chance that you’ll want to spend more time there. And, if it is not, you’ll wish you were there on another day.

The weather changes frequently, rapidly, and unpredictably in the high Alps. Forecasts are not much good beyond 24 hours, maybe 48 hours.

I was going to express a strong preference for more time in the Jungfrau region at the end of your trip. . Then, I remembered that you are traveling in April. I withdrew my strong preference. ;-(

So, I’ve gone back and edited my thoughts, because i was thinking of Summer hiking . April in the Jungfrau region is really low season. Skiing is bad…no skiers. Trails are snowed in…no hikers. Lots of tourist facilities are closed.

Check the schedule for Schilthorn…… not sure exactly when their multiweek shut down for maintenance occurs…might be April. If it is running, the Schilthorn trip might be enough time there…in April.

If it were late June or early July, my own preference would be to put a couple of days at the end of the trip staying in, for example, in Wengen ( or one of the other villages near the Jungfrau). After you have visited Pilatus, then it is a choice between a couple more mountains near Luzern (if you stay in Luzern) or the whole grand panorama of the Jungfrau region. The Rigi is a lower altitude experience and has some nice walks. Titlis is a high Alpine experience, in the same general category as the many options near the Jungfrau.

I really the region around Luzern, especially the lake. There are some nice hikes nearby, mostly accesible in the main in April (lower altitude) and visits to places like Hammetschwand add to the options. These older threads have some pictures and discuss getting to Hammetschwand before they re-opened the funicular up from the lake to Bürgenstock…now operating with a reasonably frequent direct boat to the lake station.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-hammetschwand-lift

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-hammetschwand-lift-getting-there-from-lucern

Not sure exactly when Hammetschwand opens…..definitely by early May. Not sure about April.

This describes a hike near the southern end of the lake, and mentions the “Swiss Path” ( der Weg der Schweiz).

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

So, there is plenty to do around the Lake, and the high trails in the Jungfrau region will all be blocked by snow in April.

Slowpoke

TimO
    Participant
    20 posts
    19 June 2018 at 9:24:55 #887691

Hello Lucy,

Further to Slowpoke’s comment, this year, maintenance on the Murren to Schilthorn cable cars was 23rd to 27th April and maintenance on Lauterbrunnen – Grutschalp – Murren cable car and train was 30th April to 4th May.

Details from the 2018 timetable : schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles /fahrplan_2018_web.pdf

I think the 2019 timetable should be out in Dec 2018.

The circuit mentioned is easy to navigate. We took the cable car up from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp is across the road from the Lauterbrunnen train station. Once at the Grutschalp cable car station the train to Murren will be waiting 50 metres away.

Once the train arrives at Murren you will have a 10 minute stroll through the village to the cable car station for heading up to Birg and then Schilthorn. (remember to get a ticket at the ticket office – free with the STP).

There is a restaurant and café up at the top of the Schilthorn or you can grab refreshments back down at Birg station or wait until Murren.

Then take a cable or walk down to Gimmelwald, walk down to Gimmelwald is straightforward and gives a lovely view across the valley.

From Gimmelwald get another cable car down to Stechelberg. From Stechelberg there is a bus back to Lauterbrunnen.

here is the option of doing the circuit in reverse or just going up and down from Stechelberg to Schilthorn but I recommend the route up from Lauterbrunnen – Grutschalp and across to Murren to get varied scenery.

The train up to Wengen/ Kleine Scheidegg departs at the Lauterbrunnen station (as does the train back to Interlaken/ Luzern.

Tim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 9:50:43 #887692

Thank you Tim and Slowpoke. I checked the website at Schilthorn and maintenance on cable car is from 23 April 2019 to 26 April. We depart the 24th so hopefully can get it in before that. Wasn’t sure what the Allmendhubel is on the website and hopefully won’t effect us. Many thanks again for your time

Regards

Lucy

TimO
    Participant
    20 posts
    19 June 2018 at 9:53:31 #887693

Hi Lucy,

Glad you found the 2019 timetable, didn’t think it was out yet.:)

Tim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 11:49:36 #887694

Hi Lucy,

Allmendhubel is a smaller peak near Murren, reached by funicular. https://schilthorn.ch/ en/Info/Allmendhubel_1 907_m_._6257ft

• The thread ‘More ideas for my 5 days in Lucerne next April?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.