Airplane, train or bus Interlaken to Paris?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2017 at 18:53:58 #810730

I will be visiting Wimmis/Interlaken with my daughter in early June. We will be arriving from Germany (through family- auto), staying for 2-3 days with friends and then must travel back to Paris. What is the most economical way to travel from Wimmis/Interlaken to Paris? Should we purchase a “pass”?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    3 February 2017 at 19:59:00 #858683

Hi RoRupp,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Will you be staying in Wimmis or Interlaken? They’re two different towns, not too far apart, but the start of your trip will be slightly different.

Price wise it won’t matter much. The regular way to reach Paris is to take a train to Basel and switch to the TGV Lyria (high speed train) there. If you book well in advance (3-4 months) the Basel to Paris leg can be very cheap. Details are here: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france. There are some buses to Paris too but they take much more time. Could be a little cheaper. You’ll find links to bus tickets on the linked page too. A flight is not a good option for such a relatively short distance. It’s less comfortable and takes more time.

Whether you need a pass depends on your plans during your stay. Please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2017 at 23:04:08 #858684

Thank you so much you your prompt response! We will be arriving in Interlaken but staying in Wimmis. I just assumed we would depart from Interlaken. I will look into tickets 3-4 months in advance. Again, Thank you so much!

Arno
    15478 posts
    4 February 2017 at 14:44:30 #858685

You’re most welcome! Wimmis has a train stop, so actually that’s where your trip starts. You will need to switch trains in Spiez and won’t touch Interlaken on your way to Basel.

I’m not sure about your inbound route but if you drive via Bern you will almost pass Wimmis on your way to Interlaken, so it would be quicker if you can be dropped in Wimmis or nearby Spiez.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2017 at 20:34:14 #858686

Thank you! I’m sure my Cousins will know the best route. I will give them your suggestion. We are so looking forward to our visit. It has been too long since my last visit.

• The thread ‘Airplane, train or bus Interlaken to Paris?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.