Time needed at Zurich Airport arriving from Europe

• Wilcoxjr
    Participant
    5 posts
    28 April 2019 at 16:27:47 #821292

I am a Canadian and will be arriving at Zurich airport from Glasgow (via plane stop in Amsterdam) after a few days in Scotland. I may have a tight train connection and was wondering what to expect at the airport for customs an immigration. Will I need to see security when I arrive or can I just exit where I am arriving from another EU country? Also how long to get to the airport train station.

Thanks You for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    28 April 2019 at 20:04:50 #910774

Bonjour Wilcoxjr,

Luggage : As at any airport, if you have checked luggage you’ll have to wait for it. ZRH is pretty efficient, but you never know, it depends a bit on the time of the day.

Immigration : The UK not being a Schengen country, you’ll have to go through passport control, and you being Canadian you’ll queue with the non-Swiss / non-EU passengers. A matter of a few minutes.

Customs : If you have nothing to declare you can go through the green channel.

You’ll reach the train station in about 15 minutes. If you need to buy a ticket the time required depends on the crowd at the time you are there, on how much you are familiar with the ticket-vending machine. If you need to go to a manned booth, count about 10 minutes.

But all that should not stress you : if you miss your train, there is another one 30 or 60 minutes later, unless you are late in the evening or going to a distant destination.

Wilcoxjr
    Participant
    5 posts
    28 April 2019 at 20:29:42 #910775

Thank You…that helps alot

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2019 at 14:52:45 #910776

Hello Wilcoxjr,

I normally calculate around an hour for arrival at Zurich Airport, incl. luggage, maybe some duty-free shopping and customs, but depending on the season, time of day, etc. it can be anything from, let’s say 45 mins to 2 hours.

Check: – http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich

The train station of the Airport and the Airport itself are practically in the same building, so a few minutes walk. No issue whatsoever.

To find out about possible train connections, in the case that you get delayed, use our timetable. You should see, as Snowman said, that there are regular connections normally every few minutes, depending a little where you need to go.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Time needed at Zurich Airport arriving from Europe’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.