Aletsch Glacier – UNESCO glacier walk

• lpj0508
    Participant
    6 posts
    17 February 2017 at 13:22:05 #810839

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone can help advise. I’m considering going to Riederalp for a few days in Jun in order to go for the UNESCO glacier walk (http://www.aletscharena.ch/sp orts-summer/glacier-walks/guided-walks/). In their write-up (reproduced below), it states that the walk is for children 6 and above. As I have a child who’s only turning 6 in Jul, I’m wondering if she will be allowed to go for the walk. If not, then it’s pointless for us to go there. I’ve tried emailing to [email protected] but did not get any reply.

Any kind soul able to advise? If any of my family cannot go for this, I think i’ll just skip Riederalp and go somewhere else.

Thanks,

PJ

UNESCO glacier walk
    From Moosfluh through the Aletsch Forest to the “Katzenlöcher”. This is where the glacier experience begins. During the 2-hourhike, well secured, you learn some fascinating facts about the 23 km-long Great Aletsch Glacier and its history.
    Route: Moosfluh– Aletsch Forest – Great Aletsch Glacier
    Meeting point: 9:15 h, Moosfluh base station
    Group size: at least 6 persons
    Suitable for: adults and children aged 6 or over
    Prices: adults CHF 60, children CHF 40. Does not include cable car, includes small crampons
    Sign up by 17 h on the Tuesday at Infocenter Aletsch Arena AG | [email protected] | +41 27 928 58 58

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 17:41:06 #859112

Hi lpjo508 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I don’t believe anyone will stop you and your child if they are under 6. It is a suggestion that young children may not be up to the walk/hike duration or difficulty perhaps. It really does depend on the child as much as the age I think.

Another member who has done this hike/walk may be able to offer more specific insight on the walk.

Regards,
    Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 February 2017 at 18:20:31 #859113

Hi lpjo508,

I haven’t done this specific tour, but I have hiked in the area. I would not skip Riederalp if your child can’t join this tour. I’d go in any case and ask about taking the child before booking. If they really don’t allow it there are plenty of options to walk along (not on) the glacier on your own. You won’t miss any of the scenery.

lpj0508
    Participant
    6 posts
    17 February 2017 at 22:53:55 #859114

Thanks Lucas and Arno!

As I was searching in this forum for information regarding the guided walk before I posted, I read about other walks in this area which are stunning and tempting so yes, even if we can’t do the walk, we should still visit the place.

PJ

• The thread ‘Aletsch Glacier – UNESCO glacier walk’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.