10 day itinerary in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2017 at 10:01:53 #810565

Hi,

we are a family of 13 adult (6 in age group of 55-60 rest all young) and 2 children and planning to visit Switzerland in June 2017 from the 6th to 15th.

I m preparing a allocation of days for our 10 days vacation. With stay at Interlaken (it was a family decision to stay only at Interlaken for 9 days).
    In this post i will request your suggestion only to help me in allocation of days. I will prepare my detailed itinerary in separate post:

day 1 : reach Interlaken by 5pm. Rest

day 2 : titlis

day 3 : zurich and rhine falls

day 4 : Jungfrau

day 5 : bern and lucerne city tour and rest

day 6 : glacier 3000

day 7 : interlaken and rest

day 8 : may be geneva

day 9 : may be zermatt and montreaux

day 10 : rest, reach zurich and flight at 10pm

i know the above is a very premature allocation. Hence i require your suggestion. Our family is more interested in exploring nature and we are not party goers etc.

thx

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2017 at 16:00:26 #858023

Hi Dharmesh5,

If you really want to stick to exploring nature I might recommend splitting you time between Interlaken and Luzern (local German spelling). From here you can visit some of the best natural sites of Switzerland (Jungfraujoch, Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi. Take a look at the city information page for Interlaken and Luzern for more information on these areas.

If you are primarily interested in exploring nature I might skip Zurich (I don’t think you are missing much if you don’t see the Rhine Falls).

Bern and Luzern city tours in one day is a bit much but that’s up to you – if you want to keep those to just one day on your itinerary.

I also wouldn’t worry about seeing Geneva either. Perhaps go to Montreux on the Golden Pass scenic train.

Interlaken to Zermatt is a nice trip – especially if you take the Glacier Express panoramic train (change in Visp and then on to Zermatt). There are also activities in Zermatt you may like such as Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat.

I hope this helps get you started on your planning!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2017 at 0:36:05 #858024

Suggest your stay at two locations as there are more members with age more than 50. This is because daily going to and fro will consume travel time @4 to 6 hrs.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 January 2017 at 10:27:37 #858025

Hi hurpatel, welcome to MySwissAlps and thanks for your input here! I agree with your suggestion to pick two base towns in order to reduce traveling times.

Dharmesh5: the timetable will help you plan your trips and check traveling times to and from each destination.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2017 at 16:17:27 #858026

Thanks you all for your replies. But my cousin has already booked some place in interlaken.

lucas – i will try to alter my allocation based on ur suggetions. I had heard tat rhine falls are worth visiting.. u had a diffenrnt view. Any specific negative point? How you would have allocated the 10 days?

replies will be highly appreciated.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 January 2017 at 16:41:26 #858027

Hi Dharmesh5,

Staying in a central town like Interlaken will work out fine because you intend to visit a lot of places across the country.

The Rhine Falls and Zurich are a long trip from Interlaken though, and not in the mountains. So it might be better to add a day of regional sightseeing instead. So far you only have planned two days near Interlaken. Whether the Rhine Falls are worth the trip is a personal decision. If you have seen bigger waterfalls around the world it might not be. You can check the Rhine Falls page to see for yourself.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2017 at 1:21:49 #858028

Hi Dharmesh5

<<” But my cousin has already booked some place in interlaken.”>>

Most places will allow you to change reservations this far in advance. Interlaken is a good base, but, if you really wan to see Switzerland, your schedule permits two bases, easily.

One example might be Luzern and Interlaken.

My own views are not shared by many, but, since I have seen many waterfalls, including Niagara Falls, a visit to he Rheinfalls would not be very interesting for me. We did it once, anyway. The falls are powerful, indeed, but not very high.

Just personal opinions.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘10 day itinerary in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.