Simplon Pass current weather information

Simplon Pass current weather information

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Boredy
Boredy
17 posts
Nov 13, 2017 - 12:39 AM

I checked on the Simplon pass today, it says "Snow covered, closed for truck-trailors and articulated trucks." Does it mean the road is covered with snow, or? Can I still drive through to reach Menaggio? Or take the car train from Brig? I am leaving Bern at 7:30 am in the morning.

My route likely is Bern-Kandersteg-car train to Goppenstein, drive through Simplon pass to Menaggio.

Thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Nov 13, 2017 - 8:58 AM in reply to Boredy

<<" Can I still drive through to reach Menaggio? Or take the car train from Brig?">>

Ask in Brig.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Nov 13, 2017 - 9:10 AM

Hi Boredy,

The highest section of the pass road is snow covered. You will at least need winter tires and be comfortable driving on snow. Or take the car train.

Have good trip!

Last modified on Dec 4, 2017 - 6:42 AM by Arno
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Nov 13, 2017 - 9:15 AM in reply to Boredy
Boredy
Boredy
17 posts
Nov 13, 2017 - 6:42 PM

Thanks everyone for their response.

Assuming the conditions remain the same, where do you recommend taking the car train? Where do I take the car train and continue my journey? Kandersteg to Iselle or from Brig to where? I am not sure if the car transports runs daily from Kandersteg to Iselle?

So what would my route be then? Bern - Kandersteg - ??

Thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Nov 13, 2017 - 7:00 PM in reply to Boredy

Hi Boredy-

Two different car trains.

One from Kandersteg to Goppenstein.

Then, drive to Brig and catch the other car train through/under the Simplon Pass to Italy in Brig.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Nov 13, 2017 - 7:03 PM

Unfortunately the direct Kandersteg to Iselle car train only operates until mid October, so you'd best take Slowpoke's advice. The link I shared in my earlier post gets you all the details. That page has a list of links to timetables, fares, etc.

Last modified on Nov 13, 2017 - 7:04 PM by Arno
Boredy
Boredy
17 posts
Nov 13, 2017 - 9:16 PM

I just checked the road conditions, it says "Open, no restrictions." Does this mean the road is without snow and still wet? Or it's dry? How often does the Alpen-Paesse updates?

Is there an website (if Alpen-Paesse doesnt) to see hourly updates?

I guess I am following Slowpoke's advise if the weather doesn't permit driving across the pass. Hopefully I can.

Thanks

Boredy
Boredy
17 posts
Nov 13, 2017 - 9:17 PM in reply to Boredy

Oh wait.. I forgot to ask.. Cat Train #2 - Brig to Iselle right?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Nov 13, 2017 - 9:27 PM in reply to Boredy

<<"Oh wait.. I forgot to ask.. Catch Train #2 - Brig to Iselle right?">>

Right.

Sorry that I was not clear.

Slowpoke

Boredy
Boredy
17 posts
Nov 14, 2017 - 12:13 AM

How about this Slowpoke?

"I just checked the road conditions, it says "Open, no restrictions." Does this mean the road is without snow and still wet? Or it's dry? How often does the Alpen-Paesse updates?

Is there an website (if Alpen-Paesse doesnt) to see hourly updates?

I guess I am following Slowpoke's advise if the weather doesn't permit driving across the pass. Hopefully I can.

Thanks"

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Nov 14, 2017 - 12:19 AM in reply to Boredy

Sounds like you could do it. Make sure you have winter tires on your car... There might be a few slippery spots.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Dec 4, 2017 - 6:41 AM

How was your trip Boredy?

Boredy
Boredy
17 posts
Dec 5, 2017 - 8:12 AM

Hello Arno and everyone!

My trip was great, we left Stuttgart at 2pm, somehow the GPS took us to countryside routes, off the highway. We arrived Bern, stayed 2 nights. We started driving from Bern at abut 830am, driving to Kandersteg, it was snowing and the scenery was pretty with all the snows covered mountains. My car was equipped with All Season tires, it did pretty well on snowy roads, no skidding. We arrive Goppenstein, and decided to take the car train to Iselle, however we arrived the station, the train was full, and since Simplon Pass was opened, we proceeded to drive through the pass. It was a nice drive, narrow roads and it was snowing. Ascending to the top of the pass, the fog was so dense for a short stretch, we could hardly see anything. But once we pass the top, the rest of the drive was easy. We arrived Menaggio in shorter time than anticipated, around 130pm.

I want to thank everyone for the advise and suggestions. It was a great 21 days trip, driving across and visiting 4 countries, each with different climate.

Jacquie

Last modified on Dec 5, 2017 - 8:13 AM by Boredy
Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Dec 5, 2017 - 8:42 AM

Hi Jacquie,

Thank you for reporting back. I'm glad to hear you had a safe and wonderful trip!

Boredy
Boredy
17 posts
Dec 6, 2017 - 4:27 AM

We video taped the drive, I don't know if I could post it here though. Can I?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3922 posts
expert
Dec 6, 2017 - 4:46 AM in reply to Boredy

Upload it to Youtube and post link here.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018