Where to hear Alphorns in Switzerland in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 17:53:49 #821784

Going to Switzerland September 6-21,2019. Plan to attend the cow parade in urnasch on September 14th but other wise itinerary is fairly open. Where do we go to hear the Alphorns? Any other must attend festivals or cultural events you recommend? Any plans to see Yodeling or is that just in Zurich? Definitely would rather see small towns than big cities. Advice appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 May 2019 at 21:33:41 #913076

Hi Leod-

Here is a start. Not very specific, I’m afraid.

Jodelers will appear at various kinds of small village festivals. In September, harvest festivals are beginning. I’m not sure how to search….maybe Swiss village festivals or harvest festivals in Google.

Local signs for village festivals often list the performing grious.

For example, here is one that I will probably catch at Suniswald in the Emmental in June:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en/experiences/gotthel f-maerit/

gotthelf-maerit.ch/informatione n/attraktionen/

Alphorns are less common at such events, but more common at larger festivals. Once again, I don’t know how to search. They may be hired to perform at some railroad stations or boat landings on tourist routes.

I think someone mentioned Vitznau.

Maybe MySwitzerland would have a list of festivals……?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 23:41:13 #913077

Attached is what I found about the cow parade-please please check for me. I cannot change dates of our vacation now and will be so disappointed if I miss this!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 23:41:55 #913078

Thank you! I will check in towns we stop in too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 May 2019 at 23:57:41 #913079

no attachment?

There are many cow parades.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2019 at 0:03:22 #913080

<<“I will check in towns we stop in too.”>>

Ask at the local tourist info offices. Many are very helpful.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2019 at 0:59:49 #913081

Thank you -I will.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    23 May 2019 at 3:45:05 #913082

Hello,

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 , in Lignières, canton of Neuchâtel you will be able to see it all. Here it is called La Fête de la Désalpe. Here is the program for the day: http://www.fetedeladesalpe.ch /page8.php. It is in French, but if you right-click on the page you will see that Google will do a fairly decent translation. Left click to get back to the original French text. You will see there is everything, from the cow parade (cortège de désalpe) to whip cracking (claquers de fouet) to bell ringing (sonneurs de cloches) to flag tossing (lanceurs de drapeaux) to the alpen horns (cors des Alpes), folkloric music, guggenmusik, all manner of stands selling handicrafts and food and drink, and many floats. Here is a short video I made last year up in the school yard of twelve cors des Alpes. youtu.be/_x-MdUxoh_M. It is perhaps of interest to note that under this yard is the Lignières bomb shelter, which on that day was the location of a large flea market. You can find other videos on YouTube which give you the flavour of this special day in Lignières.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2019 at 1:22:56 #913083

Unfortunately we are leaving to go back to Wisconsin on the 21st. Hopefully we can get all this in while we’re there!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 May 2019 at 7:01:49 #913084

Oh! You live in Wisconsin? No Alphorn show in New Glarus?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    26 May 2019 at 18:40:26 #913085

Hello Leod,

You said: << Unfortunately we are leaving to go back to Wisconsin on the 21st. Hopefully we can get all this in while we’re there! >> And now that I look back at your original post, I see your mention of September 6 to 21. If you are actually departing on the 21, the Désalpe in Lignières will be too late.

However, you might want to go to Villars-Sainte-Croix (just a few kilometres north of Lausanne) on Thursday, September 19, from 5 PM to 7 PM, to see and hear the following alphorn concert: alphorn-academy.ch/events/19-septembre-2019-villars-st-croix-de-17-h-00-a-19-h-00/. I have indicated its location with a red oval on the attached map.

This is a special concert by the Académie suisse de Cor des Alpes (the Alphorn Academy of Switzerland).

In the meantime, you might enjoy this video: Festival de cors des Alpes à Männlichen (Suisse BE) youtu.be/tTubnUuMG8A

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 May 2019 at 19:30:42 #913086

Hi Leod,

I have no personal knowledge on this, found on the Internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fI43wV8BJA

http://www.swisstown.com/

But maybe you precisely come from New Glarus and want to compare with the original?

No way I could give you a better advice than Peterli. Good luck!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2019 at 23:20:07 #913087

Ha-didn’t realize this was so close to home -only 2-3 hit drive away. I’ll have to put this on my bucket list -thank you so much!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    27 May 2019 at 23:48:47 #913088

Hello once again,

If you are going to be in Urnasch, I assume you are going to visit the Appenzeller Brauchtumsmuseum. http://www.museum-urnaesch.ch/home

You have probably also studied the Alpabfahrt und Bauernmarkt program for September 14th. http://www.urnaesch.ch/de/akt uelles/anlaesseaktuell es/welcome.php?action=showevent&event _id=1431821

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2019 at 0:15:21 #913089

You’re the best -thank you!! Yes, was planning on spending time in appenzell -will be sure to check out museum based on your recommendation. Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Where to hear Alphorns in Switzerland in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.