Time needed for Alpiglen to Eigergletscher hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2019 at 20:00:30 #822974

How much longer is it to hike from Alpiglen up to Eigergletscher vs. the 2:30 hours I see listed for the reverse hike down?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 July 2019 at 11:25:04 #918334

I think the Swiss rate most hikes the same whether you are going uphill or down but I guess it depends how fit you are.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    22 July 2019 at 11:42:51 #918335

Hi Avalpert

My map rates Alpiglen to Eigergletscher at 2.50 hrs and that’s about how long it took us to hike the reverse direction (downhill). I would estimate it is about a 2000 ft elevation change and the trail has good footing. I expect there are many that would hike it as quickly or even quicker uphill than downhill (because my knees are old I often hike faster uphill). So as Rockoyster said it really depends on how fit you are and how often you need to stop for a rest. I would say the steepest part is the first 1/3 of the trail near Alpiglen and after that the grade is not especially steep.

Mark

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 July 2019 at 18:11:55 #918336

A quick add on question related to this hike if it’s OK…?

As we are planning to do this hike as well but once we get to Alpiglen there is a train that goes down to Grindelweld from there?

Thanks

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    22 July 2019 at 20:14:06 #918337

Yes,there is a train station in Alpiglen with trains going in both directions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 July 2019 at 3:52:52 #918338

<<“once we get to Alpiglen there is a train that goes down to Grindelweld from there?”>>

Yes, and the timetable can give you an immediate answer , without needing to ask in this forum and wait for an answer:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable, or:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 July 2019 at 12:16:09 #918339

I don’t mind waiting at all… many times I get additional info that I didn’t even think about asking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2019 at 2:26:55 #918340

How is the weather around mid-September along this trail? My wife and I are thinking of staying at Wengen for few days mid-sept

One trip we want to do is this AlpiGlen to Eigergletscher. So we plan to take train from Wengen to Klein Scheidegg then on to Alpiglen. From Alpiglen trek up to Eigergletscher. Take the train back to Lauterbrunnen and on to Wengen

Is there a better way to do this? And of course as I asked before is it cold and windy in mid-Sept or is it a mild weather?

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 July 2019 at 6:45:39 #918341

Hi Reston2019,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Sounds good, and September is usually one of the best times of the year weather wise. No guarantees of course!

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    26 July 2019 at 12:03:08 #918342

Hi Reston

Once you hike to Eigergletscher you take the train or walk down to Kleine Scheidegg and then the train down to Wengen. There is no need to go to Lauterbrunnen unless you want to go through Grindelwald which would be much longer.

Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 July 2019 at 16:59:45 #918343

<<“Is there a better way to do this? And of course as I asked before is it cold and windy in mid-Sept or is it a mild weather?”>>

Usually mild during the day,mid to high teens ( Celsius), and really nice if it is sunny, but will cool off at night.

One man’s mild weather is another man’s cold weather. If you come from Singapore, it will be cold. 😉

When I go up there in September, I wear or carry layers with a windbreaker jacket. I live in New England, in the USA.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2019 at 17:49:52 #918344

@Mark Thanks for the tip

@Slowpoke, I will be coming from Northern VA, so I will prepare accordingly. This is very useful. Thanks

• The thread ‘Time needed for Alpiglen to Eigergletscher hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.