Alpine restaurant attire in Switzerland

• Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 June 2017 at 0:45:22 #812065

Hi everyone! We’re visiting Wengen and its surrounds next week and now that I am starting to pack, I realize we don’t have anything terribly dressy.

I’m traveling with my husband and three kids and our itinerary mostly involves hikes,jungfrau (hopefully!), and playgrounds and such. We’re also backpacking so am trying to pack as light as possible.

Must we dress up to eat at a restaurant in a hotel, for example? Would hiking clothes and shoes be unacceptable? Am really hoping to try some Swiss restaurant food while we are there but don’t really want to pack another set of nice shoes… Or one nice outfit just to eat in :/

Also, what would be acceptable for the children? (All boys 14, 8 and 3)

Oh and on the topic of clothing, would it be reasonable to expect to be hiking in t-shirts and shorts since it’s summer? We’re from the tropics and even the summer temperature looks somewhat chilly to me.

Thank you very much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 8:30:00 #864311

Hi Shinyhappy1 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Most restaurants (and certainly any up in the mountains) will have no dress code for you or your children. They will be full of tourists and hikers.

I suppose I would want a nice pair of jeans at least for a nicer restaurant in the bigger towns – you certainly don’t need formal wear for most restaurants (although there are a few but their prices are too high for most people 🙂

Yes coming from the tropics you may not want to just wear shorts and t-shirts in the mountains. It can range from 5 degrees to maybe 20 in higher altitudes (although in the valleys it can easily be 25 to 35. Pants are a good idea because you can still sun burn up there even if it is 10 degrees. The hiking pants that have a zipper at the knees to make them into shorts are very popular for hiking.

Lucas

Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 June 2017 at 16:41:29 #864312

Thank you very much for your quick response, Lucas!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 June 2017 at 2:09:43 #864313

Hi ShinyHapppy1 –

Luas said it politely. I’l say it simply.

Early June at high altitudes is pretty much the end of Winter. Just barely.

<<“would it be reasonable to expect to be hiking in t-shirts and shorts since it’s summer? We’re from the tropics and even the summer temperature looks somewhat chilly to me.”>>

It is certainly not early Summer.

Altitude drives the weather and the temperatures.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Alpine restaurant attire in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.