Alpnachstad-Pilatus cogwheel opening dates

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 20:41:59 #815617

Hello Experts,

Thanks for the all the help on my questions, its been really helpful to have someone watching my back!

We are in Lucerne between 6th – 8th May, 2018 and the http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/ seems to suggest the cogwheel train is still not functional (as of 29th April). Is there any website or predictions that could give me an idea regarding the starting dates for the cogwheel train for summer 2018? Most places seem to suggest early/mid-May, I am hoping its early May this year. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 21:17:10 #883619

You are in luck, the cog wheel fires up 1 May according to SBB Timetable. That may be weather dependent though so check closer to the time on the Pilatus website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 1:32:47 #883620

Thanks @rockoyster

I checked today on May 1st on http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/ but it still seems to suggest that the cogwheel train is not operational.

1. Is the above website correct and best place to monitor if the train is operational?

2. Is there any other website which gives an idea why the train isn’t operational and when would it be operational in 2018?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 2:05:15 #883621

The Pilatus website would be the definitive reference.

They have a contact form if you want to ask them when they expect it may open.

I always thought it was late May but SBB timetable is the one that suggests 1 May. The heavy snow this last winter is likely to slow the opening.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 4:49:24 #883622

>> Is there any other website which gives an idea why the train isn’t operational and when would it be operational in 2018?

According to the Swiss Timetable, it is because of heavy snowfall. If you can wait until 5 May, it might be open then. If you can’t wait that long, simply go up and back via the cableway from Kriens.

This is completely normal for the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm. The opening date can be anywhere from the beginning of May to mid-May each year. It is entirely dependent on the weather. Once the track is clear of snow, I imagine there is also some work to be done clearing debris from the track before the trains can start running.

The definitive site for operational status is the Pilatus website, as rockoyster has already advised.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 4:54:56 #883623

Thansk alpenrose666

I am in Lucerne between 6-8th May so if the train starts by 5th May its perfect for me. If there is any website which provides such details it would be great to have for tracking purposes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 4:57:34 #883624

>> If there is any website which provides such details it would be great to have for tracking purposes.

It is the same link you posted in your first message in this thread.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Alpnachstad-Pilatus cogwheel opening dates’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.