Alpnachstad-Pilatus cogwheel opening dates

Alpnachstad-Pilatus cogwheel opening dates

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 8:41 PM

Hello Experts,

Thanks for the all the help on my questions, its been really helpful to have someone watching my back!

We are in Lucerne between 6th - 8th May, 2018 and the www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/ seems to suggest the cogwheel train is still not functional (as of 29th April). Is there any website or predictions that could give me an idea regarding the starting dates for the cogwheel train for summer 2018? Most places seem to suggest early/mid-May, I am hoping its early May this year. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3388 posts
expert
Apr 29, 2018 - 9:17 PM in reply to gamesteel

You are in luck, the cog wheel fires up 1 May according to SBB Timetable. That may be weather dependent though so check closer to the time on the Pilatus website.

gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
May 2, 2018 - 1:32 AM

Thanks @rockoyster

I checked today on May 1st on www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/ but it still seems to suggest that the cogwheel train is not operational.

1. Is the above website correct and best place to monitor if the train is operational?

2. Is there any other website which gives an idea why the train isn't operational and when would it be operational in 2018?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3388 posts
expert
May 2, 2018 - 2:05 AM in reply to gamesteel

The Pilatus website would be the definitive reference.

They have a contact form if you want to ask them when they expect it may open.

I always thought it was late May but SBB timetable is the one that suggests 1 May. The heavy snow this last winter is likely to slow the opening.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2127 posts
top member
May 2, 2018 - 4:49 AM in reply to gamesteel

>> Is there any other website which gives an idea why the train isn't operational and when would it be operational in 2018?

According to the Swiss Timetable, it is because of heavy snowfall. If you can wait until 5 May, it might be open then. If you can't wait that long, simply go up and back via the cableway from Kriens.

This is completely normal for the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm. The opening date can be anywhere from the beginning of May to mid-May each year. It is entirely dependent on the weather. Once the track is clear of snow, I imagine there is also some work to be done clearing debris from the track before the trains can start running.

The definitive site for operational status is the Pilatus website, as rockoyster has already advised.

Alpenrose

Last modified on May 2, 2018 - 4:53 AM by Alpenrose666
gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
May 2, 2018 - 4:54 AM in reply to Alpenrose666

Thansk alpenrose666

I am in Lucerne between 6-8th May so if the train starts by 5th May its perfect for me. If there is any website which provides such details it would be great to have for tracking purposes.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2127 posts
top member
May 2, 2018 - 4:57 AM in reply to gamesteel

>> If there is any website which provides such details it would be great to have for tracking purposes.

It is the same link you posted in your first message in this thread.

Alpenrose

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018