Alpnachstad to Weggis by ferry schedule?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 December 2017 at 9:10:32 #872672

From what I can see the first boat form Weggis doesn’t leave until 10:05!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 9:14:41 #872673

The winter schedule only shows a boat at 7 and 11 AM but I’m hoping the summer schedule has more choices. If not, bus/train it will have to be!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 9:22:43 #872674

I’ve been given some excellent ideas to consider. Knowing us , we’ll probably play it by ear as to how early we want to get started and how ambitious we are that day. Thanks for all your help!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 December 2017 at 9:24:52 #872675

Summer schedule attached. Again, check the SBB Timetable for your travel date. It will show fastest connection by default.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 12:18:30 #872676

Hi Stacy –

Looking back through the thread, I have a few comments. Perhaps a bit out of the order in which the points arose.

Indeed, there is enough time to include Seelisberg in your route from Alpnachstad. Just keep an eye on the last boat time from Beckenried to Weggis, and for many runs there will be a funicular down from Seelisberg that matches the boat schedules.

By the way, the boats come and go at Beckenried only a short time apart.

You’ll have no troublemaking those kinds of connections, also at Kehrsiten- Bürgenstock, because they’ll adjust a bit to make sure they happen. And, you can see the boats approaching from some distance away.

Finally, just watch the signs at the dock carefully, and if you are concerned about getting on the wrong one, ask the person standing by where you get on board.

By using the complete boat schedules from the Lake Lucerne boat company, which I linked earlier ..please use the Summer schedule…you can see about changes of boats. Each vertical line is one boat.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2018/ 2018_Fahrplan_Sommer.p df

It appears that the first boat from Weggis to K-B is at 1105. A bit late to start the day that way.

Rockoyster’s comment on using the bus plus train makes good sense. However, if you wish to ride the boat with the early morning commuters you can catch a 704 from Weggis to Luzern. The little “A” in a circle beside that boat on the ship company’s timetable means workdays ( Arbeitstagen) only…M to F. So, you could not do that on a weekend.

Those little indicators are available if you scroll all the way down.

Depending on your overall timing, an option to consider is to use the bus to Seelisberg as described, but get off at the stop for the Hotel Sonnenberg. The stop at the Sonnenberg is two stops from the end of the bus line at the Funicular station. It is a marvelous view, better than anywhere else along your route. Take a look at the lake from the terrace, then make the easy downhill walk along the road or better along the marked path near the cliff edge that is available for part of it, to the funicular station. It will take about 15 minutes to walk that last stretch.

map.search.ch/?pos=687895,203225&z=25 6

In the later afternoon, in June, the funicular runs every 20 minutes from Seelisberg to Treib at xx13, xx33, and xx53. less frequently earlier in the day.

When you ride the lake boats (please, not the car ferry from Beckenried to Gersau) you can pick up a brochure with the printed boat schedules at any ship landing.

If you look at the map that I linked earlier, you’ll see that it is about 1 km, and it is all downhill.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 23:09:58 #872677

Thanks so much for your incredible help, RockOyster! It’s a bit overwhelming at the moment and I’m more than a bit confused. There is a lot for me to digest here and to figure out regarding timetables, etc. but I will do so!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 23:40:51 #872678

Hi Rockoyster –

The first boat to the other side of the lake does not leave until 1105. See your December 10th post.

There is a weekdays only trip to Luzern at 0704 for commuters. The “A” in a circle signifies weekdays.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 December 2017 at 0:25:03 #872679

Stacy-

The Swiss Travel Pass and the frequent trips on various lines give you a lot of flexibility. As you said, you can play it by ear.

The problem is that you are on one side of the lake, and Alpnachstad and Beckenried are on the other. That reduces the flexibility. That means that to “play it by ear.’ which really works well on trains and buses in general, only really applies in a simple and clear fashion if you go back and forth through Luzern. You said that you do not want to do that. So,that introduces a bit of complexity.

I am sure you are confused by the flood of advice. I certainly was confused by all the options when I first started to travel around lake Lucerne…in i980.

And, if you are going to make it up as you go along, you need to be careful late in the day, or else you will likely have to go back through Luzern. So, writing down you trip options as you move through the day tells you just how flexible you can be.

Please consider this method. Please, please look at the map that I have been posting. Zoom it in and out. You’ll get a feeling for what the schedules refer to. Even if you are not a map person, that will help you see what the routes are.

map.search.ch/?pos=678448,199920&z=16

Zoom in and out.

Lay out a journey on a piece of paper with names of the intermediate stops..

For each leg, write down the probable times that you will take it and the arrival time at your destination for that leg. You might write down two or three options for the time you leave Alpnachstad and journey to Seelisberg.

Use the SBB timetable for that..it covers buses, trains and boats and cableways.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Skip the next step of the middle of the journey for the moment. Look at the end, so you don’t get stuck.

Thus, write down all the times that the boat leaves for Weggis ( or Brunnen, as an option) from Treib. That is every hour at xx27 only until 1757. As late as 1834 to Brunnen; later on some days.

I got that from this Summer schedule:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2018/ 2018_Fahrplan_Sommer.p df

If you look on that schedule, you can see each boat route.

Now you can fill in the amount of time available between arriving at Seelisberg, including the taking the funicular down to Treib, and then catching the boat to Weggis from Treib.

In the later afternoon, in June, the funicular runs every 20 minutes

from Seelisberg to Treib at xx13, xx33, and xx53. less frequently

earlier in the day.

Within those time limits, you can be flexible. You have a lot of time unless you leave Alpnachstad after the early afternoon. So, get to Pilatus reasonably early, or skip the side trip to Seelisberg, and go Alpnachstad to Beckenried.

You can use the same kind procedure if you chose to go from Alpnachstad to Beckenried (use the SBB timetable) then Beckenried to Weggis. (Use the lake boat timetable for clarity). Faster than going through Seelisberg.

You’ll have lots of time to do the route through Beckenried. You’ll also have more than enough time to go through Seelisberg.

If your tabulation does not support this conclusion, let us know.

Slowpoke

PS –

<<“Dec 10, 2017 – 11:09 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks so much for your incredible help, RockOyster! It’s a bit overwhelming at the moment and I’m more than a bit confused. There is a lot for me to digest here and to figure out regarding timetables, etc. but I will do so!”>>

My handle is Slowpoke, not Rockoyster. I’ve never been to Tasmania. 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 December 2017 at 0:29:41 #872680

<<“Would we have enough time to do Mt Pilatus and also go to Stansstad –

Stans – Seelisberg – Treib _ Weggis trips in one day? It seems like an

awful lot for one day!”>>

Absolutely YES.

The devil is in the details, as the other posts have shown.

Slowpoke

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Alpnachstad to Weggis by ferry schedule?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.