Where to go with Regional Pass Lake Geneva – Alps?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 14:50:58 #813007

I will purchase the 5 or 7 day pass. Besides Chillon Castle (with a short Montreux visit) and Gruyeres, where should I travel on my additional “free” travel day? A suggestion for another scenic village along the lake perhaps? Which boat trip on the lake would be the best? These will be 1 day trips, as I will be based in Geneva. Merci beaucoup.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    19 August 2017 at 17:38:12 #868600

Hi Fagaly, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’d prefer a boat trip on the eastern part of the lake, between Lausanne (Ouchy) and Villeneuve. A wonderful scenic train ride is the one to Rochers-de-Naye. Please see here for what’s included in the pass.

Have fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2017 at 1:35:13 #868601

Hi Fagaly

<<“where should I travel on my additional “free” travel day?”>>

When? Some trains through the vineyards between Lausanne and Vevey could be nice. Or, a visit to Ouchy for lunch. Depends on time of year.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 2:24:51 #868602

We will be there in September. Just not sure about travel times between sites, as I would like to squeeze in two “visits” to places in one day. It seems that the roctrain trip would probably take a full day, since we’re starting from Geneva? Maybe Gruyeres and chocolate factory one day? I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you for the quick responses to my post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 13:09:37 #868603

Hi Fagaly,

From Geneva I wouldn’t do more than Gruyeres and the chocolate factory no.
    You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out your visits.

What is the roctrain?

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2017 at 13:46:37 #868604

Hi Fagaly-

September is probably the best month of the year to visit Switzerland, I get there almost every year in September.

<<“We will be there in September. Just not sure about travel times between sites, as I would like to squeeze in two “visits” to places in one day.”>>

Lucas said it all.

Use the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It covers all the trains, buses, public transport cableways, and lake boats in Switzerland.

Be sure to read the instruction page at that link, and note that the computer defaults to the fastest route.

You can enter intermediate stops in the”via” box to force the route to a slower one….as mos of the scenic ones are.

Boats are slow, so you sometimes have to work the menus to force it to show ships.

Map-

If you use this map, you can see the train lines (zoom in):

map.search.ch/index.en .html?retry=1&pos=571608,157 752&z=32

Trains –

The first part of the Golden Pass route, between approximately Montbovon ( or maybe Zweisimmen) and Montreux is very scenic. You could go partway and turn around to come back down to the lake. Or, if you go to Gruyeres, return via Montbovon and Montreux to get to the lake, then a fast train to Geneva.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

In September, especially late in the day withe the slanting sunlight, the views from the “Wine Train” going up from Vevey to Puidoux can be very nice, if brief.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/wine-train-lavaux-please-advice

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/by-train-across-the-vineyards.html

It connects at the bottom with trains through Vevey, and at the top with local trains to Lausanne, and thence back to Geneva.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where to go with Regional Pass Lake Geneva – Alps?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.